Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Parking Garage

I admit I don't remember when the fascination started but it has been ongoing for awhile now. Noah points them out to me every time we pass one while driving. I am not completely certain what the draw is but there is a real pull as evidenced by his thrice weekly requests to go in the parking garage.

There is one right across the street from Noah's preschool and he sees it as we leave the parking lot. And always asks if we can go in. Sadly for Noah, that parking garage is for residents only. Across the street from that parking garage, however, there is another parking garage for the public library. It is gated but after apparently giving up with the coded gate idea they now employ a gate attendant.

Our first day in he was busy and didn't try to talk to me as I went in. I know he was thinking the he would come find my car and that I wouldn't be parking far from the entrance-who does if they don't have too, right? Imagine his surprise when a couple of minutes later we came back out. I rolled down my window and told him we were just passing through after preschool. He chuckled and waved.

It is becoming a habit. The other day he got up to give me a stub and I rolled down my window and said we were just passing through and he chuckled and said "oh, I recognize you now."

It seems to be the perfect ending to the happy preschool day. Noah loves preschool and asks daily if "go pweschool and drop me off?" I appreciate the notebook they send home telling what they did that day because otherwise I would not have a clue. When I pick him up, our conversations go something like this:

M: Did you have a goo time?
N: Yep.
M: What did you do today?
N: I don't know.
M: Did you all let your butterflies go today?
N: No.
M: Did you see the butterflies?
N: No.
M: What did you have for snack today?
N: I don't know.
M: Did you eat snack?
N: No.

You get the idea. Thank goodness for the notebook. I have some idea what happens each day and he loves to show it off and tell about what they did that day (just not in the car on the way home). Usually, after naps for me and after daddy gets home from work he gets an accounting too. If you give him the chance he will start at the beginning of the book and tell you everything they have done so far. We are also supposed to write and draw (my artistic talents are being severely strained, let me tell you!) about the things that we do at home so that they can ask the kids about what they did when they weren't in preschool.

Being on a strict schedule is an adjustment for me. That sounds kinda weird since I am a creature of habit and my kids are on a pretty set napping and bedtime schedule, but other than church (and I have Chris to help make that happen), I haven't had a "you have to be here at this time" kind of deal for a long time. But, it is totally worth it. Noah loves it now, will love it more when winter comes, and it makes errands a little easier with just one little one who still fits in the shopping carts.

4 comments:

Alisa said...

This is so cute I'm linking it to the post I'm working on right now to it! There is something wonderful about parking garages--though I'm not sure what it is.

http://aerybeat.blogspot.com/2009/09/sunday-drive-to-las-colinas.html

I love the notebook thing Noah's school does!

Leslie said...

I'd love to go to pweschool in his pocket!

Stephanie said...

I'm glad Noah's loving school so much!!

Hmm... I'm gonna have to rethink this whole parking garage thing. It may fall into the category of completely fantastic things I've been taking for granted! ;)

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

i love you more than a parking garage leah. Dallin was asking about his cousin friends Noah and Like.