So the last few couple weeks of our stay in TX were pretty uneventful. We would have liked to repeat a few different things but pretty much resorted t hiding out from the heat instead.
As we were driving home I was talking to mom and she reported that we had lived through more than 20 days in a row of over 100 degree weather (the most consecutive days in about 10 years!). We weren't making it up. Maybe we were wimping out. Sue me.
We did make a trip out to the Krispy Kreme to watch the donut making. And eat some, of course. Yum, yum!One of the great blessings (and there were many, despite my many complaints about the heat!) of our time in TX was the relationship that developed between Noah and Grandma and Grandpa. This was evidenced in a variety of ways, one of which was the conversations that they would have. Noah would talk to them and ask questions and interact with them rather than treating them like a piece of furniture-in the room, but not necessarily something that one needs to pay attention too. After that excursion Noah recounted to Grandma all about how donuts are made, the whole process as he had learned it from Krispy Kreme. And when Grandpa came home he did it again:)
One day we picked Grandma up from work and it was so hot we decided to stop at McDonald's for a fruit smoothie to cool off. Noah and Ian have had multiple opportunities to play in restaurant play places but are to scared to climb up the trees and climb around in the tubes. Claustrophobia and a fear of heights maybe?
This was the first that I have seen that said parents were welcome to help little children so up I went. The boys were happy to follow and we had a pleasant interlude in the air conditioned play place. Neither of the boys wanted to go up without some adult support so even Grandma made the climb! Don't kill me, Grandma, for including this picture!
One morning Grandpa wondered why his sneakers were unlaced.Have no idea where he found these but he had a great time!
Imagine our surprise when we found a Purdue train outside a restaurant! (My kids went out to eat to non-fast food places for the first and second time ever this trip! Except for not really eating the food they did pretty well. I won't be so nervous about it in the future, I think.)
Before we left we had to take the obligatory group shot. And I'm glad we did. It turns out this is the only picture of the kids with their grandparents!
Parting is such sweet sorrow!
The time came for us to go. It was a long time coming-longer than we had originally planned and much awaited, perhaps especially by Grandma, though she is to polite to say it out loud!
I was anxious to get home and be in our place (not to mention some place a little cooler!). But is was sad to leave. The blessings and tender mercies were many and it seemed a little ungrateful to want to go.
My parents were completely, totally generous in their hospitality and when we extended the stay two more weeks they didn't even bat an eye.
I anticipated that about 7-10 days in the boys would have a bit of a break down and be ready to go home. That time never really arrived. They did really well.
Chris was able to finish his thesis. There were many small miracles involved in accomplishing that-from being able to leave a part out to fixing the broken down machine twice on the last day he had.
A father's blessing offered comfort and information to help in future planning.
Noah developing a relationship with his grandparents. This one is especially precious to me. Short visits are all we can usually manage and they aren't really conducive to this evolution of relationship.
Grandma and Grandpa got to know and see Sage grow. Her first smiles and cooing. When we left, they had been with her half of her lifetime!
I had help in my time as a single parent. This was also priceless. Two kids and a new baby-I couldn't have afforded Chris all that time to finish his thesis if I hadn't had mom to help me. Thanks again, Mom!
We left on Tuesday about 8:30 am. We thought we would get an early start, right after the boys woke up. You know, around 7, since they usually are up and about by 6:30. But no. That day of all days they slept until 7:30!
But we finally got ourselves together and got on our way. (Oh, one more note. I am a great packer. Seems to be in the genes. I could pack our corolla to within an inch of it's life. Turns out, I can do the same with the van-triple the space and all!)
My impressions of the trip home:
TX-"We're in OK already?" (We were going north not west:)
OK-75 mph? Sweet! Ugh, construction. 75. Construction. Poop stop on the side of the road, no poop. 75. Construction. Poop stop, no poop. 75. Construction. 75. Poop stop, no poop. 75. Construction. 75. Construction. Are we ever going to get out of OK?
MO-Precious Moments Chapel billboard-ALWAYS FREE! Adult bookstore. Church. Church. Adult superstore. Precious Moments Chapel billboard. Church. Adults only store. Construction.
IL-Almost home!!!!!
We also had Noah's first encounter with a porta-potty on the way home.
"Daddy, what is that?" asks Noah looking down the hole.
"Yucky, yucky water!"
I am so grateful to have my little girl but in that moment I was even more grateful that it was my son that needed to use the bathroom! And that my husband was willing to take him!!And just to leave this post on a more...positive note-this was the best rest stop! Whoever thought of this and paid for it gets my vote!
Sunday, August 22, 2010
There and Back Again
Posted by Leah at 9:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So glad you made it! What a summer!
What fun memories for all of you! So fun to see pic of your darling parents. I'm sure they LOVED having you and your cute kids around.
And we did love it---the quiet as very strange on Wednesday.
Yucky, yucky water! We're definitely related!
Post a Comment