Monday, December 17, 2012

My Heart, My Children

I have so many things that I am trying to remember about the kids it is making me a crazy lady!  I sit to write it all down and can't remember a thing!  Here goes nothing on the incomplete list...

Ian's reading skills have really taken flight and he loves to peruse books and read "in his brain." He will read to Sage any time and it is often that I will find them like this:

Ian says the darndest things! Here is a sampling:
"Parents wouldn't name their children bad words. Villains would."
 "Inside these choking hazards is crushed mint!"
 "Last one to the tree is is a robin egg!" (Chris actually took it upon himself to explain what the phrase really is and he declined to change. Although, he does occasionally add the "dirty" part. You dirty robin egg, you!)
"My throat still hurts. But everything I eat, except fingernails, makes me feel better."
"When I pack for forever, I will pack my light blue blankie." 
Ian said "can I go to four flags?" After hearing much discussion between Noah, 6 yrs old, and Chris about getting to use Noah's Six Flags pass that he earned this past school year.
 

Also, while re-enacting David and Goliath, Ian, having turned down any part, included himself in the mix. After Noah (David) declared that daddy (Goliath) came with his armor and sword but he came with God, Ian chimed in and said "And I come with David and God!"

I found Playschool through a happy set of providential circumstances when we had just moved to WI and I was looking for a preschool for Noah.

I have really loved the atmosphere, the learning through play philosophy and the stellar teachers.  One of the fun projects they work on during their space unit is a rocket ship and mission control. 
 Ian's engineering genes showed up every day as he hogged mission control!

Ian loves to learn and is very self-motivated about it.

Ian is probably my most physically affectionate child (Sage runs a close second!).  He gives spontaneous hugs and kisses and multiple times a day will give me the sign language sign for "I love you." If he is home in the afternoons he will cuddle in bed with me and fall asleep pushed up as close to me as he can get.

He has a gift for making friends.  He enjoys playing and being with boys and girls, older or younger, doesn't seem to matter. At home he can really bridge the gap between Noah and Sage, allowing all three to play well together. 

* * *

Sage's talking is adorable! "He put my bwanket on ik!"
"Happy dirthday, daddy!" (And she seems to think that it is always for daddy, not anyone else.)
"Crit'mas lights!"

After accurately.counting all the lights in the van I told Sage she was so smart and asked her where she got so smart. "Are you daddy's girl?" (Because let's face it, he's the super genius in this relationship.)
"No, Mama's!"
Ah, it warms the cockles of my heart!!


Another common conversation goes like this:
Me: "Are you my girl?"
Sage: "No, I Sage."

You know Baa, Baa Black Sheep? Well, Sage wanted Black Pig. Hmm. I finally asked Chris. We now have two more verses: Oink, oink Black Pig
Have you any chops?
Yes, Sir, yes Sir, lots and lots!

Moo, moo Black Cow
Have you any milk?
Yes, Sir, yes Sir, smooth as silk!


She really enjoys Dora and Diego and the Backyardigans.  She sings along, calls out on request and has learned a lot of new things.  For instance, every playschool day as we went down to Ian's classroom she would point out the "fwuit bats."
Sage is helpful and giving by nature.  She jumps right in, without being asked to carry a dish to the sink, pick up toys, bring a coat or offer comfort when someone is upset.  She also likes to clean up messes. "Big mess" she says before wiping up the yogurt she spilled or trying to sweep the crumbs off the floor.

When we pick up Ian from Playschool we usually have to walk a couple of blocks.  She shuns hand holding and loves to "race" to the door. 

She really enjoys music and often shushes me in the car telling me not to sing because "I sing!"

Her hair, of course, is always a mentioned, commented on, and enjoyed by all who see her.  It is long, usually curly, and pretty plentiful for her age.  She lets me comb it after baths but seems to have a tender scalp that tolerates no tugging.  She adjusted well and quickly to the use of a barrette to hold it out of her face.  Other styles may be enjoyed for a moment in the mirror but are then pulled out as if it was a lark-fun for the moment, not meant to be endured long-term.

Sage hugs and kisses and lays her head on my shoulder.  She puts her face up close to mine and lets me kiss on her cheek and neck.  She blows on my hair and will sit on my lap (sometimes).  She is also independent and likes to put on and take off her own shoes.  "I do it" is a common phrase in our house and has been for several months.  She just learned to open the doors in our house.

She is always excited when daddy comes home and runs to greet him with a big hug.  She visually seeks him out at church (he always has meetings prior to the main church meetings for everyone) and happily calls out when she finds him and then asks to go see him. She is patient and obedient enough to wait if I say no.  She also knows that during the last song she is allowed to go sit on his lap so every time we sing she turns to me and asks "Now?"   

* * *

Noah is so tall I often forget how old he is.  He is sensitive and friendly.  He loves to play and is really into play fighting: ninja, star wars, and just plain old wrestling.  He has long been picky about his clothes, wearing only jeans for several years now.  He doesn't really like long sleeves and recently developed an aversion to polo shirts.  His recent growth spurts have made it difficult to keep him in clothes. If it doesn't "feel good" he won't wear it either. 

Reading, once a true test of character for him, has turned into a fun thing as his skill has progressed.  He has found fun stories and loves to learn more about things that are of interest to him, like Star Wars. At the book fair recently, he really wanted to buy something.  We decided that we would match what money he put in on the purchase of a book.  He did some extra chores that very night to earn enough money, so that combined with our part, he could buy Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Much to my (shameful) surprise, he has read it daily for weeks.

Noah has a curious nature and is always asking questions-what, how, why, when-about anything that catches his fancy. (Although, he really leans towards the math and science things rather than the arts.)
Just yesterday, while waiting for some car repairs, Chris and Noah discussed all aspects of the sun. After a quick break to deal with the car diagnosis, Noah turned down book reading, saying "Let's talk about the universe."

My heart aches as our many, much, oft, consistent and repeated attempts to conceive have been in vain. I have struggled through many of those thoughts and emotions common to women dealing with infertility. I have been seeking inspiration, guidance, and comfort.  One of the sources I tapped into was the recent conference talks.  One brought to my attention my potential for ingratitude with the amazing children with which I have already been blessed.  My family may not be what I thought it would be (at this point) but it is, nevertheless, amazing and priceless. 

We are the Williamsons forever!




PS I started this post before the tragic shooting in CT but it seems even more appropriate now. My thoughts and prayers and tears go out to those who have been impacted and changed by this event.

1 comments:

Clara said...

I loooooooved this post Leah! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your wonderful children. I'm so grateful for you and your family.