So. Mother's Day. It was back in May. I know it. I am finally getting around to posting about it and that is probably a good thing.
Around that time I was a little (read: very!) put out about all the sentiment in social media and other places that made it seem as though I shouldn't celebrate Mother's Day because there were women out there who wanted children and couldn't have them.
It is not that I don't feel for those women, because I do. I have many friends who have dealt with infertility. I can even claim to be among them after more than a year now of trying to conceive.
But there are some who would say that I am insensitive and unfeeling and rude. I am sure they are the same people who tell me that I need more "tolerance" in other areas of major current social concern.
But I really didn't (and don't) feel that all of that means I can't celebrate the wonderful aspects of my life and my very nature that make me a mother.
So, by the time Mother's Day came around I was in an ornery mood about the whole thing. (My day was wonderful and highlighted by my wonderful children and a loving husband who gave me the "day off," letting me nap, making dinner and even a yummy requested dessert.)
I had planned my whole Mother's Day post and it was a blistering diatribe meant to give vent to all those roiling emotions and thoughts. (Sorry, seems you are getting part of it anyway!)
I went to church on Mother's Day and was so enriched, edified and calmed down by one of the talks that was shared. I loved it so much I asked her to email me a copy.
I loved her message about why we should celebrate Mother's Day and how it really does apply to all women. We all have cause to celebrate. And we should not be divided by the "haves" and "have nots" (children in this case) in our efforts to preserve and protect the family!
I hope that her message resonates with you as it did with me. I was able to really enjoy the rest of Mother's Day because her talk calmed my riled emotions and motivated my spirit.
It is my privilege to address you today and I do so with some trepidation. I realize that today is a wonderful day for most, but also a day of tenderness for others. I hope and pray that the Spirit will be with us today as I proceed.
In
THE FAMILY – A PROCLAMATION TO THE WORLD it states: We, the First Presidency and the Council of
the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints solemnly
proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that
the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His
children.
All
human beings-male and female-are created in the image of God.
Male
and female. That is what we are. It does not say: Male, female and mother. All women (and men) have the potential for
parenthood. There is no other way (no
matter what scientists might attempt).
Let me quote from Patricia T. Holland, former counselor in the General
Relief Society Presidency:
“Eve
was given the identity of ‘the mother of all living’…before she ever bore a child. It would appear that her motherhood
preceded her maternity, just as surely as the perfection of the Garden preceded
the struggles of mortality. I believe
mother is one of those very carefully chosen words, one of those rich
words—with meaning after meaning after meaning.
We must not, at all costs, let that word divide us. I believe with all of my heart that it is
first and foremost a statement about nature,
not a head count of our children.”
I
testify that what Sister Holland says is true.
It is what I feel and believe – she stated it better than I ever
could.
This
past General Conference during a talk by Elder M. Russell Ballard, he made a
statement that has haunted me. He quoted
from a New York Times report that stated that the share of children born to
unmarried women has crossed a threshold:
more than half of births to American women under 30 occur outside
marriage.
Again
I quote from the Proclamation:
“The
family is ordained of God. Marriage
between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the
bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital
vows with complete fidelity.
…we
warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals,
communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern
prophets.”
I
would add that a warning from Prophets, Seers and Revelators is something that
is serious and is ignored at our own peril.
Returning
to Elder Ballard’s talk he goes on to explain about cause and effect. Are families stronger because they are educated and prosperous or are people more
educated and prosperous because they have
values and strong families? He testifies
that it is the latter:
“When
people make family and religious commitments to gospel principles, they begin
to do better spiritually and often temporally as well.”
I
wonder if in these “modern” times we get confused about what educated and
prosperous really mean? I was raised in
a Christian (though not LDS) home. I
would consider my parents educated, yet neither attended college. Both were smarter than me and as I age I
continue to realize just how much more intelligent they were! My father was a carpenter. He worked hard, but work was seasonal, so I
know they struggled financially.
However, we always had food, well prepared and plenty to go around. We always had clothes to wear, clean and
well-tended, not always the latest fashion, but presentable for sure. Our home was modest, but warm, dry and kept
that way by the hard work of my parents.
We
were not rich by today’s standards…but what more could I have asked for? I was loved and cared for. My physical needs were met. I was taught correct principles and values,
by parents who lived them.
At
age 18 I broke my parents hearts and left their church and joined the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Before she died, my mother talked about her life. She didn’t come out and say it, but I think
even after 30 years in the Church she still felt my rejection of her beliefs
and felt like she had failed in some way, though she couldn’t think how. I hope that now that they are both beyond the
veil, my parents can see that through their teachings and example, they
prepared me to accept the greatest blessing in my life; my membership in the
true Church of God. I have been able to
raise my own children within the covenant blessings of the gospel of Jesus
Christ.
There
are not letters after my name. No
college degrees on my wall. Yet I feel
that I am educated and have taught my children the best I could. We struggled financially also, as for most of
my children’s young lives; we were a single income family. We also sacrificed much-just ask my
kids! However, none went hungry. We always had a roof over our heads. The furniture wasn’t always new, but it was
adequate for our needs. We had all we
needed and even much of what we wanted.
Prosperity
is often thought of as another word for rich. A wise man once said: a rich person is he who has enough. In that definition I think most of us could
consider ourselves prosperous. I know
that as we keep our covenants and do our best to live our lives and raise our
children in righteousness, we will be blessed temporally as well as
spiritually.
Going
back to Elder Ballard’s talk he goes on to declare:
“Brothers
and sisters, the most important cause of
our lifetime is our families. If we
will devote ourselves to this cause, we will improve every other aspect of our
lives and will become, as a people and as a church, an example and a beacon for
all peoples of the earth.
…The
Church is a mooring in this tempestuous sea, an anchor in the churning waters
of change and division, and a beacon to those who value and seek
righteousness. The Lord uses this Church
as a tool in pulling His children throughout the world toward the protection of
His gospel.”
We
live in tumultuous times. The
Latter-Days. Great are the struggles we
face. The adversary is throwing all he
has in his arsenal against us. This is
his last great chance, and he isn’t wasting it.
Are we prepared to fight—not just a battle—but a war? For our very souls and the souls of our
posterity are at stake. This can be
overwhelming and even frightening, but know this (I quote from Boyd K. Packer):
“As
the world grows ever more threatening, the powers of heaven draw ever closer to
families and parents.”
We
are not alone. We are doing God’s
work. He does not leave us to fight this
war alone. Doctrine and Covenants 35:
13-14 states:
“Wherefore,
I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised,
to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit;
And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be
their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall
fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will
let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine indignation will I
preserve them.”
Another
way that the powers of heaven draw closer is through our prophets. They give us divine guidance and direction in
this war we face.
In
1979 President Spencer W. Kimball made this statement: “Much of the major growth that is coming to
the Church in the last days…will happen to the degree that the women of the Church
reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that
[they] are seen as distinct and different—in happy ways—from the women of the
world”
Think
about it. In 1979 President Kimball saw
us and talked about us!!! We are the
sisters he prophesied about! It is up to
us to make his prophecy a reality!
In
Doctrine and Covenants 25:10, the Lord counseled Emma Smith to “lay aside the
things of this world, and seek for the things of a better”
In
John 16:33, Christ declared “I have overcome the world”
The
only way that we may overcome the world is by coming unto Christ. That means walking away from the world.
“If
you expect glory, intelligence and endless lives,” said President Joseph F.
Smith, “let the world go”
We
are not women of the world. We are women
of God. And women of God will be among
the greatest heroines of the 21st century.
As President Joseph F. Smith proclaimed, it is not for us “to be led by
the women of the world; it is for [us] to lead…the women of the world, in
everything that is praise-worthy”
Sister
Sheri L. Dew shared this:
As
sisters in Zion we can be obstacles to the adversary’s conspiracy against
families and virtue. No wonder he tempts
us to settle for earthly pleasures rather than to seek for eternal glory. A 45-year-old mother of six told me recently
that when she stopped poring over magazines that plagued her with images of how
her home and wardrobe should look, she began to feel more at peace. She said, “I may be chubby, gray, and
wrinkled, but I am a chubby, gray, wrinkled daughter of God, who knows me and
loves me.”
From
Sister Margaret D. Nadauld Young Women General President in Oct. 2000:
Women
of God can never be like women of the world.
The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are
tender. There are enough women who are
coarse; we need women who are kind.
There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we
need more women of faith. We have enough
greed; we need more goodness. We have
enough vanity; we need more virtue. We
have enough popularity; we need more purity.
May
[women] understand their own great capacity for strength in the timeless
virtues that some would scoff at in a modern, liberated world for women.”
Sisters
I am grateful to you and those that have gone before who have exemplified to me
my role as a daughter of God in these latter-days. You have taught me through your love,
patience, example and friendship.
I
am grateful to the Brethren also. I
thank you for your kindness, your willingness to serve your Heavenly Father by
serving his children. As you love and
care for your wives and children, and magnify your callings in a righteous
manner, you show us the example of the Savior through your actions.
I
know the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth through the
Prophet Joseph Smith. I know that the
Book of Mormon is the word of God and will lead us to salvation and exaltation
as we read and follow its teachings. I
know that God lives. I know that Jesus
Christ is his Son and our Redeemer. He
willingly sacrificed himself so that we all may return to our Heavenly Father’s
presence with glory and honor.
I
wish to close with this quote from Elder Neal A. Maxwell:
“When
the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of
gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies?
The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in
homes and in neighborhoods? Will what
happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what
happened in congresses?”
In
the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

3 comments:
That was an excellent talk. I'm on the iPad and can't figure out how to put an exclamation point so just imagine one at the end of that first sentence. I just wanted share one thing on this topic. Dan and I were doing sealings this past weekend and the sealer told us something interesting. He said that the word "matrimony" used in the sealing ordinance and virtually every Christian marriage ceremony, doesn't mean marriage, as is commonly believed. It comes from the Greek word meaning motherhood. And that has given me something to think about (exclamation point)
Funny how our lives parallel each other's. John is certainly not as heavy burdened as a bishop, but he is President of a struggling elder's quorum right now in a "pilot stake" where ward leaders are being asked to be much more heavily involved in missionary work. And it's wonderful. That being said, I am SO GLAD I haven't had to sit by myself in sacrament meetings! Also, here you and I are, with toddlers so close in age, and waddya know, we've been trying for another for about a year.... Just too similar. I feel like heavenly father needed me to be more understanding of those who've struggled with infetility. Being on this end of things now I can say that I don't for a second resent people celebrating pregnancies and children. It's the people who discard or resent their pregnancies and children that make my heart sad. Here's hoping we can both get the blessing we seek!
That is a wonderful talk. I've always loved the talk by Patricia Holland that she quoted. I'm sorry you're having difficulties TTC--I will pray for you! I loved your Bishop's wife post, too. I need to call you this week--I always think of it too late or too early. You'd think since we're in the same time zone now it would be easier! I miss you!
Post a Comment