Of all the things involved with being a parent, I hate potty training the most.
The MOST!!
I hoped that Sage would be easier and quicker than the boys. In some ways she was. In other ways it was more difficult. Situations change and demands on my time are different with the third than they were with the first (or even the second).
There were a few indications that she might be ready and I had this one week where Chris was home from work and could help entertain the boys. Just because it was the week between Christmas and New Year's didn't mean we shouldn't do it. Right?
Well, the week had it's ups and downs and there were definitely times when we wondered if we were wasting our vacation week. (Especially Chris, since his presence was in higher demand than mine as bathroom companion.)
There were even some lighthearted moments. Like when I caught Sage experimenting alternate ways to use her "pantsies."She was happy with her reward of a couple of Skittles and really happy to get her Angry Bird Tattoos. (This pictures is from the first day. By day three or four....let's just say her successes were lining up!)
We tried for a couple of weeks and then...well, she decided that it was too much trouble to interrupt her life to use the bathroom when nature called. And for all her easygoing, compliant and happy nature, there is no forcing this issue. She will be ready when she is ready.
And I sincerely hope that when she is ready it will be quick since we have already done all the work!




5 comments:
Sometimes I look at baby Sara and completely PANIC that we're going to have to go through potty training again. Yes, I'm DREADING it and WORRYING about it only about 2 or 3 years early. But that's how terrible it is!
But it does eventually happen...
Good luck!
I HATE POTTY TRAINING TOO!
Sorry about Sage. Hopefully your life is wonderful again after giving up the struggle! Maybe summer will be easier since you won't have to cart her around for all the school drop-offs and pick-ups, and she can have more time to figure it out.
I feel your pain! As of last week Alice is back in diapers. She totally can do it, she did it about every other week (I mean, one week on, one week off), she just doesn't want to and I'm done. Err! (And Rachael can wait until she's 5!!)
I can totally relate. We had a couple of abandoned potty training attempts with Marian- she would be so hit and miss and then totally apathetic. And then, lo and behold, something switched and she just up and decided she wanted to wear underwear and use the potty (I'm not sure if it was the jelly bean bribes, the long term prize, both or neither). It's so wierd to go from diapers to just total potty independance- naps, nighttime, out and about all no problem- pretty much over night. My point is, your efforts were not wasted and she'll come around.... eventually. But yeah, it stinks until then:) Good luck!
I'm not looking forward to potty training either!!!
Post a Comment