Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Time!!

I love, love, LOVE, Christmas time! The music is really one of my most favorite parts of the season. My favorites are often my favorite because they express so well the sentiments I have concerning Jesus, His birth and purpose here on earth. Noah is starting to recognize some of the songs this year and requests them at bedtime. I love that.

I have fond memories of making Christmas goodies and listening to Mannheim Steamrollers as a child. I could start in October and go till February listening to Christmas music. I have also been known to break it out in the summer for a little refresher!

The other thing that I love about this season is the spirit of giving and service. Of course, this should be a year round thing but you can't deny that there is something about the season that brings out something special in people. When I was young we would 'Secret Santa' families or do a 'Twelve Days of Christmas' for them. I still chuckle as I remember the time the husband jumped through the hole of their screen door and chased my sister down. No secrets that year.

The day after Thanksgiving we put up our outdoor lights. We got on things pretty early this year, in part because Chris was home to help get it done. This is the first year we have had lights and Chris and I were both super excited. We got them on clearance last year but had to wait a whole year to use them! (In case you were wondering we are white light people and ours are the icicle kind:) Noah was there almost every step of the way, literally. He didn't do any of the work but he enjoyed practicing his ladder climbing skills and learning that only one person can be on the ladder at a time.


We also got our tree up. We didn't get it decorated that day except for the star. Noah did the honors with a little help from mom and dad.


I really love how everyone gets especially focused on Jesus Christ at this time of year too. How amazingly wonderful that we have a Savior, that He was born in humble circumstances and loves us so much that He gave his life to know us and redeem us.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could see your lights. We got ours up this weekend---they make me happy! Your Mary and Joseph are so beautiful. I'm glad for the years that they lived at my house---Merry Christmas!

Leslie said...

Can you tell that I just sent out my Relief Society email and forgot to log in again as me---sorry.

Elise said...

Merry Christmas! Good job putting up lights! You guys wanna come over and put up some for us?

And I love that Mary and Joseph statue too!

Don and Robin Cooper said...

We finished decorating our tree today. We are trying to get everything wrapped and "done" before Tara calls and tells us the baby is coming and we have to fly out of here! I too like your Mary and Joseph!

Stephanie said...

I agree with your Christmas thoughts :) Wish I could see your lights... the white icicle kind are the best! I love the pictures of your little helper too! Very impressive ladder-climbing skills!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Cute pictures. I was glad you reminded me about Christmas music. Not that I really forgot, we have just been a little busy and I just hadn't thought to get it going. I did today and fa la la la la... la la la la. Love you all.

The Burnah Clan said...

Oh, you got a gifina nativity! I alwasy regret not getting one!!! Neat!