Saturday, July 11, 2009

Family Date Night

If I was asked to count my blessings it might go something like this:

1. Jesus Christ
2. My family
3. Date Night
4. etc.

I have said it before and no doubt will say it again, but I love date night. About a year ago we invited ourselves into a date night babysitting group. Those families so kindly let us join AND babysat Ian the Crier (he is capable of going on for a really long time.) Every Friday is date night and we rotate babysitting with the other families in the group. I LOVE it.

Summer presents some challenges to make this happen. Last night it worked out that it didn't work out.

So, we decided that we would do a family date night activity and make the evening special for all of us. It was wonderful! I was so pleased with how it all went. It made me happy.

We picked up daddy from work and went to Sam's for dinner. Where else can you get dinner for the whole family (that they will actually eat!) for $8 with a little entertainment thrown in?


After dinner we went...

blueberry picking!
Our time was short because we were running into bed time fussiness but most of the evening went like this. We all picked and Ian occupied himself with other things. Chris has particularly been looking forward to doing this since we did it last year. We already have plans to go back next week. Ian was not particularly interested in learning how to pick blueberries or in eating them. He preferred pacing the row and playing with the keys.
Noah, however, was a great berry picker and was very careful to only pick the blue ones.
The evening was warm, warmer than I would have preferred but it was so beautiful. The grass was green and the bushes were glowing in the sun with their green, red and blue berries. It was a wonderful family evening!!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

The new group not quite ready to start? Great alternative--are you eating the berries or preserving them somehow? I love Noah--he tries hard to do what is asked , it seems to me. Glad you had a great time!

chrisw said...

The other two families were out of town last weekend. As for the berries, we're eating them. I made blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes. Carbalicious! And cold cereal is much better with fresh berries.
Kudos to Leah for planning a great family activity.