Before I had Sage people would always ask what I was having-a boy or a girl.
I didn't know.
This seemed to invite people to give their opinion about which gender I should be wishing for and why. I didn't really mind this but it inevitably led to asking which gender I wanted and why.
I didn't know.
But I usually said the same thing every time. I was comfortable with boys and having a girl scared me. I am by no means a girly girl and all my attempts to become more so usually only last about a week before I give up and revert back to my slothful state of little to no makeup, pony tail and comfortable rather than fashionable clothes. So what would I do if I had a little girl who wanted to play pretty-pretty princess and cared about what she wore? Terrifying thoughts, I tell you, terrifying!!
Fast forward to May 27th.
It's a girl!!
Thank goodness for family and kind friends!
It started with Charlotte and her bag of girl clothes. Then Mom and Elise came. (Blogger had a little glitch here but the picture was too cute to leave out!)
Elise brought an entire suitcase full of girl clothes. A large, I mean seriously large, suitcase! Then I got a surprise package from my sister-in-law with even more cute outfits that I can't wait for Sage to grow in to. More friends gifted us with other darling outfits that will ensure that at least for the first 6 months Sage will not be mistaken for a baby boy. In fact, she will be totally stylin'!!
But you know, for a girl, clothes are not enough. Oh, no. They need accessories!!!
And so we went out and got the makings for headbands and clips: ribbon, bows, flowers, etc.
It's a good thing that Elise had some clue how to go about making them because I had spurned all previous opportunities to learn how to make little girl accessories, after all, I didn't think that the boys would wear them!
Grandma also had a brilliant idea for helping us differentiate between Ian's lovey rags and Sage's burp clothes, aka cloth diapers.Mom works for the "ribbon lady" and has a plethora of scrap ribbon that we were able to put to good use. Now Ian always comes to me and shows me his rag and says "no wibbon" in his sweet little voice that you just can't get from reading this.
Thanks, ladies, for helping us get a jump start on our Girl Power! I feel a little more prepared for the future and should the time come (and face it, we all know it will) that I need more help in the girl power department I know where to come!
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Girl Power
Posted by Leah at 8:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Aww, it's so fun! :)
Really, girls are super fun to doll up!! And just for the record, I think you know, I am NOT a girly girl either and I'm happy to report that without encouraging anything princess Emma is not very interested. She loves her cars and trucks b/c all her friends are boys. And yours has 2 older brothers to help out!!
Well there is plenty more where that came from! Ava is getting bigger and harder to dress because she has so many of her own opinions now. But Sage can move right on into line because I will never tire of making little girl clothes!
Great! Now you can teach me to make all those cute girlie accessories. And I love the cute burp cloths, what a good idea.
LOL. Growing up I thought the same thing(what on earth would I do with a girl?), and now I have a daughter obsessed with princesses and pink. And another girl on top of that. Funny thing is, Sariah just came that way (in love with all things feminine... though she also loves Thomas the Train and swords, dinosaurs and sharks, go figure). You'll do great! I turn to my sisters in law for fashion and hair doing though. I'm still totally clueless there.
Post a Comment