Not to long after Chris went to work in WI he was forwarded the following email:
Dr. Ivantysynova,
A recent google search brought me to the MAHA Fluid Power Research Center website. The keywords that led me to you: "excavator costume."
My 4 year old wants to be an excavator for Halloween. It is my own fault, I suppose, for fostering such creativity in my children. Add to that, my rule that Halloween costumes have to be made and not purchased (again to foster their creativity), and we have some challenges. Furthermore, I don't sew a lick! Last year he was a seagull dressed up like a witch, because in his words "regular seagulls are not Halloweeny". I have some ideas as to how to create the excavator costume. Fortunately, we just moved, so I have a lot of cardboard boxes. My main issue of concern is how to counterbalance the arm and bucket in the front, so that it doesn't fall too far forward. I saw that your students made an excavator costume for your PhD student, Chris. Would you please ask them for their suggestions as to how I can modify this for my son, and keep it from tipping forward. I had originally thought of making a lever so that he could actually hold the candy in the bucket, but I just can't wrap my brain around how to do it.
Thank you so much for your time.
Megan
Speaking of costumes, Happy Halloween! (It is only a little late!)
I approached Halloween with only a small amount of trepidation this year. (You may remember last year and my pitiful Martha Stewart moment.)
It was only a small amount of trepidation not because I had planned well. Or finished preparations early. Or found a sale. Or even bought a costume.
This year the costumes were on Chris' head! The boys wanted to be robots and Chris was totally excited to take that task on.
More power to ya, I say!
There was dreaming. There was planning. There was drawing. There was discussion. There were many ideas.
But perhaps the excitement waned a bit as he was up two nights in row till midnight making lights work.
So, why was there any trepidation for me, you are wondering.
Because I was fairly certain, and proven right!, that Noah would once again decline to wear his costume. And then, as the mother, I was supposed to come up with those magic words that would convince him that wearing his costume was what he really wanted to do!
(Did you ever sit in church and watch mothers whisper to their children and then those children would sit still and quiet for the rest of the meeting? And did you ever wonder what magic words they said to achieve such amazing results? I had hoped that the magic came with the baby but, no, I am still wondering!)
First he wouldn't wear the hat part. And then before preschool he didn't want to wear the arm pieces. By the time we got to preschool he wouldn't put on any part of it. He was the only kid sitting in the circle at the start of preschool with no costume.
I left it just in case.
I picked him up from preschool curious as to how things had gone. He actually reported wearing his costume (at least the main part, although I am sure people wondered what his costume was) for a time! And of course, he was thrilled with the treats.
Trunk or Treat at the church yielded lots of goodies that Noah happily consumed in about a day and a half.
Ian, with no sweet tooth to speak of, was happy to share with his parents.
Sage, was a beautiful flower in my garden this year. She stayed pretty cozy in her fuzzy costume while she helped me hand out candy.
We hadn't completely decided if we were going to Trick or Treat our new neighbor's houses yet when we arrived home to our neighborhood after church and saw all the trick or treaters out already doing their thing.
It was about 2:00 in the afternoon! What the heck?
Anyway, we took naps instead. We will have to visit the neighbors with Christmas goodies instead.
After Halloween this email and picture arrived:
Dr. Ivantysynova,
Awhile back, I emailed you re: the excavator costume that your students fashioned for Chris Williamson. I am happy to report that I am *almost* finished my 4 year-old's Halloween costume! I still need to add a small box on the rear (the engine, I guess it is) to counterbalance the boom in front. It was certainly functional enough to win him "best costume" at his pre-school Halloween party today. Just thought that you and your students would get a kick out of it. Please see the attached photo.
Happy Halloween, and best wishes,
Megan



3 comments:
Reminds me of the truck costume at Noah's preschool. As for the "loot" I'm glad you follow the "eat as much as you want" principle. And I just might be coming up to get my baby........
That is so funny! I was wishing for Chris when I was trying to rig up Luke's fan. I think the boys robots turned out great. And I also know how it feels to have a kid who doesn't always wear what you think/want/think they'll want. And what was with trick or treating at 2pm?
Thanks, Elise. They would have looked much more like robots if they had worn the rest of the costume, but oh well. I know for next time that accessories are not allowed.
Post a Comment