When we were looking for a place to live schools were in the top three most important thing on our priority list.
I think we succeeded, but it's only been a few weeks and Noah is our first kindergartener.September 1st was the first day of school. We had everything ready and we set out to walk to school. We have been making the trip a couple of times a week for a few weeks to get ready for the big day.
It was hot. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to walk to the school. We aren't on a bus route because we live to close to school.Noah led the way. He was pleased with his blue backpack, Transformer (which he has never seen!) lunch bag, and brain food snack. On previous visits to the school he has always been disappointed that he didn't get to "stay and do more kindergarten things."
This was his chance and he was happy to take it.
We have all-day kindergarten. I have to admit that I was glad I didn't have choice. I didn't have to make a choice between art, music, gym and Spanish and coming home early. I don't have a sad boy who doesn't get to each lunch with the kids in his class. I don't have to feel guilty about him not getting any naps. (Yes, he still took about 2 a week.) And as immature as it may sound, I didn't have to worry about what other mother's might have said if I had opted for full-day kindergarten of my own free will and choice.
I don't know what I would have chosen but I have enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to choose!
I was doing good all morning. I didn't think I would cry despite a lot of trepidation on my part and even some sleeplessness. I was even feeling a little cranky by the time we got to the school because it was so hot. I wasn't even in the mood to be a cry baby about the whole thing.
I was doing good until this moment:Then it was like "Wait, that's my baby, I almost can't see him anymore, where are you taking him?!?!" Definitely reminiscent of the doctor coming at you with a needle and thinking just wait a darn minute and let me get a hand to hold! Ok, Elise might be the only who can relate to that feeling but it is definitely a moment in which I recognized that I didn't have control of the situation and it gave me a zing of panic.
It was split second freak out that took me totally by surprise. The tears welled...and then were re-absorbed.
There was nothing left to do but walk back home. Ian thought that was a less than stellar idea.The next day...we drove.
And Noah has cheerfully (thankfully!) gone back to school every weekday since.
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Noah's First Day of Kindergarten
Posted by Leah at 8:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hoorah for Noah!
How did our kids get so big?! I hope he's still enjoying it, I'm sure he is.
Ohhh I miss you. Reading your blog and catching up remind me of just how far away I feel sometimes. I love you all.
Post a Comment