I was pretty sure that Easter would pass me by in a fog of fatigue. I was rethinking my decision to join Chris with the kids on the trip to Indiana but it was too late. We had already gone and we arrived home late and tired with things to do to be ready for the next day: Easter Sunday.
It is one of my favorite holidays. Maybe my most favorite. I still recall the Easter activity in one of my singles wards that brought into clear focus the events surrounding the Resurrection. I distinctly remember the verses that record the resurrected Lord approaching Mary in the garden. She did not recognize Him until He said her name. I remember realizing that it will be the same with us one day. He will call me by name. I want to recognize Him when He does.
But this Easter I wasn't sure that I would even feel a flicker as I tried to keep the children reverent in Sacrament meeting and rushed off to teach my Primary class, always an iffy opportunity, spiritually speaking. It seemed my chances to be spiritually fed had passed me by when I arrived at Sharing Time.
There was planned an egg hunt for the Resurrection Eggs. Numbered 1-12, each egg contained a scripture and an item representing an event that occurred leading up to the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
As those scriptures were read my heart was softened and then melted completely as I felt anew the gratitude and love I feel for my Savior. And then, the love my Savior has for me. I felt like I could come apart at the seams but managed to keep it together.
"Phew!" I thought as the scripture reading came to an end.
The primary chorister, with just a few minutes left decided we should sing Gethsemane as our closing song. We sang this song last year as part of our Primary program so it was not new or unexpected. But as we started out I only made it about one line in before my seams burst, the dam broke and I quit singing to wipe at rolling tears that refused to be stemmed.
I was so overwhelmed by love for my Savior, my Redeemer. I was so overwhelmed by the love I felt from Him. I generally prefer to keep any blubbering I might do to myself. I was only moderately successful. But who cared? Jesus loves me! And He lives!
He really, really lives! How amazing! How miraculous! How...how....how loving. I strive each day to serve the Lord so that when He calls his sheep I will be numbered among those who hear and recognize His voice. I am still a work in progress but this Easter I knew I was loved and I knew that Jesus is the Savior and Redeemer of the world and that He lives.
Sunday, April 15, 2012
Easter
Posted by Leah at 10:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Reading your report, I can't help thinking about our discussion at Ostia Antica.
Beautiful. Thank you :)
Post a Comment