I had a good mommy moment today.
Being a parent of young children means that I frequently hear the advice to "savor the season" whenever it is time to change a poopy diaper or clean up other bodily fluids from the carpet, couch, clothes or vehicle.
But really, those are not things that I want to "savor." In fact, I do my level best to forget about them as soon as they are past. I won't ever miss changing a dirty diaper once all my children are past that phase of life.
Instead, I want to savor the sweet moments when my children do amazing, adorable things. And the times when they do the regular, everyday things that we all have to learn. Sometimes good mommy moments are when I have the perfect answer to that tough question. Or when one of my children tells me that they love me. Some good mommy moments aren't really about what I did well, but are moments when I see their potential as a child of God, when the love I feel for them bubbles up inside and spills over. When I get a glimpse of a spiritual peer that I have been tasked with teaching and find myself being taught.
So today's moment was during sacrament meeting. Due to Stake Conference it was fast Sunday for us. Our opportunity to share our testimonies. Early in the meeting Noah asked me "what was a testimony?" I explained that it was a statement of belief or knowledge. Like "I believe Jesus is our Savior" or "I know He answers our prayers."
I asked him if he wanted to share a testimony. "How old do you have to be to share your testimony?"
"Anyone can share, you don't have to be a certain age. Do you want to do it?"
He looked, to his mother who knows him so well, like he wanted to say yes but was nervous about the whole idea. I suggested that we write down his testimony so that he wouldn't have to worry about forgetting what he wanted to say.
He agreed. I wrote for him (sometimes he can't read his own phonetic spelling) as he dictated.
I believe that the Church is true. I believe in Jesus and I know he loves me, knows me and answers my prayers. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
He wanted me to go up with him to the stand. We walked up together. It felt very momentous. And while it was short and over quickly, it was very momentous. My son spoke confidently about his belief in his Savior. We try to teach our children about the gospel and I worry so much about their personal spiritual journey and the experiences that will be pivotal in the development of their faith and testimony. As the world around us deteriorates I wish more and more to know that my children will be steadfast and immovable from the rock that is our Savior, Jesus Christ. That their faith will not falter in the face of wickedness, temptation, and moral decay.
What a good, sweet, precious, mommy moment to know that Noah is on that path!
Sunday, November 11, 2012
Out of the Mouth of Babes
Posted by Leah at 9:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love you sister. You are an amazing Mom. I wish I could have been there for that Testimony.
This is what we pray for everyday!
Noah we are proud of you!
Post a Comment