Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bragging Rights

I am taking a moment to brag on my husband, Chris. I often complain that he works and travels too much but mixed in with all of that there is a good deal of the p-word...pride. He does work hard and expects a lot from himself. He consistently delivers too.

A case in point: SURF mentoring. For the past few months Chris has had the added responsibility of mentoring an undergraduate doing a research fellowship program. This ended up taking a good portion of each day as he was determined to really help his student, answer his questions, direct his work towards completion, and make sure he had an overall positive experience. Chris helped him prepare for meetings with Monika, presentations with corporate VIPs and poster presentations for the SURF program itself. The student that Chris mentored was the only one who completed his project (in the lab) and as a reflection of his impressiveness, was offered a position in Monika's lab after he graduates in December.


This student rightly attributed a lot (I would say all but I suppose the kid did do some of the work) of his success to Chris and nominated him for grad student mentor of the summer. Chris was selected and received this handy dandy award and a monetary prize.

It is always nice to have some one acknowledge a job well done, effort put forth and time spent. So this posting is just a small pat on the back, Chris, for all that you do! I am so proud of you!

6 comments:

Elise said...

You go, Boy! Thanks for being such a hard worker in all you do and especially for taking care of my sister!Love ya!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Chris you are great!

chrisw said...

Aw, shucks.

Greg and Tammy said...

Congrats to Chris!! That is really impressive. I loved the post on Ian. So funny that he "shrunk".... he and Emma would ge along well with their chubby selves. So much more to kiss. :)

Don and Robin Cooper said...

Wow, what a nice compliment for all his hard work. Congratulations! It's always nice when others appreciate our sweetie pies too! :)

Stephanie said...

YAAAAAYYYY! Yeah, that's right... that's my big brother.
Can I nominate him for mentor of a lifetime? Pretty sure he's been filling that role in our fam for a long time :) Glad to hear he finally got a plaque for it!