So, last week one of the topics for the talks in sacrament meeting was 'Spiritual Self-reliance'. My first thought was, "isn't that an oxymoron?" I was wondering what thoughts, feelings or experiences anyone had on this topic.
PS I did ponder on this further (past the oxymoron stage:) and was aided in my efforts by the February issues of the Ensign.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
View From the Pew
Posted by Leah at 8:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hmmm you give me lots to think about...Right off the bat I think of the oxymoron idea as well but after a minute more, I am thinking of the idea of not relying on other people's testimonies, like your parents, or spouse, etc. Like the 10 virgins. There will come a time when you need your very own oil because you cannot live forever on borrowed light. But yes, you've got me thinking...
I keep thinking of the day in the MTC that we went around the room and everyone in my district shared why they were serving a mission. Man, I loved those Elders, but there were A LOT who said, "Because all my friends are," or "Because I always figured I would." Hmmm...
But you're right--it's a weird term. The less you rely on yourself and the more you rely on the Savior, the more spiritually self-reliant you are.
I've thought about this for a day now and lots of things have come to my mind. 1- Having your own testimony of the gospel being foremost. I know there are times that that alone will sustain you. I thought relying on yourself and the tools you have such as the scriptures and your patreartical blessing to get thru trials or even having them handy and knowing that the answers to life's situations are within them. Knowing no Believing that our Heavenly Father will carry you through your darkest hours. Some have experienced it and have a first hand knowledge others have faith of it. I guess overall being willing to have faith in the lord.
I guess it all boils down to knowing where you personally can get your spirtual answers. That you don't need someone to help you get them or remind you where to get them. You have a knowledge yourself and it's the first place you turn. Is this making any more sense than the oxymoron itself.
Ok that's my stab at it.
Just knowing where and how to get your spirt answers- in a nutshell
Ten Virgins parable is what comes to mind for me. I can see the oxymoron part but that was not my first thought. Maybe because spiritual self reliance has been a theme for our stake for the past year. I've have been practicing hard lately. It is not so easy.
To me, the gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of agency, and spiritual self-reliance refers to applying that agency in answering His call "Come follow me". Spiritual self-reliance is doing everything in your power (on your own) to seek Him and rely on Him and His atonement. You apply your faith and your works to rely on His strength, and perfection -- to apply His atonement to your life.
Post a Comment