Monday, January 18, 2010

Free Day at The Children's Museum

Warning: This is one of those long, 'record the day' kind of posts. If you get bored feel free to move on!

Because it was Martin Luther King Jr. Day there was a free day at the Indy Children's Museum. Chris actually took the holiday and didn't go to work-a pleasant change from years past!-and we got to make it a fun family outing.

We have actually only been once before in all the years we have lived here and it was another free day on Christmas Eve. It was busy but I don't remember it being as crazy as it was by the time we left.

We drove down and I took the exit recommended from the highway signs. We ended up in an insanely long line for the parking garage at the Museum. But being unfamiliar with the area and where we were going I didn't stay in that line (surely it wasn't for the museum parking garage this far away, I reasoned, even though I secretly thought it was) and figured if I overshot the museum I could come back around.

After making what was probably an illegal (but not dangerous) turn we got the idea to drop off Chris and the kids while I parked the car to maximize their time in the museum. After leaving the drop off lot I saw signs for a ground lot right next to the Museum. I didn't even know they had ground lots! I was able to pull in and park right away and I felt bad for all those other people still waiting in a long line to park in the garage! I felt worse when I found out that friends from the ward had waited in that line for 40 minutes and didn't get in!

We started at the Dinosohere. We missed most of the exhibit because Noah told Chris that the loud noises and strobe lights were "scary."
They did get to touch the head of this 'hogwarts dragon.'

There were several interactive toys stations and these were a hit with the kids each time.
I asked Chris to run back and get a picture of this massive crocodile because I didn't even know that they existed! The info made clear that it is not a dinosaur but lived at the same time. The pictures don't give a clear idea of how HUGE this was but if his legs had been pulled straight out it would have been as wide as I am tall!
After the dinosaurs we went to the train exhibit. We stayed there long enough to play with trains and see several model trains. Sadly, the boys were not interested in seeing the real steam locomotive that they have. It was the largest in the US at the time it was built.

We got an elevator (always a hit with my kids!) to the fourth floor and went to ride the carousel. It's horses are original hand carved carousel horses that were rescued after the original building housing the carousel collapsed. They were rescued from the mess and stored in an old barn until they were donated in the 60's to the museum and they built a new carousel and got an original Wurlitzer to play music.

I generally avoid taking pictures of myself and for sure posting them and this is a perfect example why, but it was the only picture of me and Ian. Too bad he wasn't smiling too!
Noah smiled for me but all the other pictures reveal his true anxiety of the moving horse. He held on tightly to Chris and that pole and only looked forward.
From there we moved on to the Playscape. The water was huge hit with both boys. For, Ian who has found the joys of playing in the sink at home and for Noah, who has been reminded how much he used to enjoy playing there as well.

No trip would be complete without a ride on the skid steer loader!


Much fun was had by all. Perhaps too much! By the time we left (about 12) it took us 10-15 minutes to get down one level on the ramp because they were directing traffic and the turns to get through were short. This wouldn't have been the end of the world but Ian took much exception to leaving the toy trains behind and proceeded to have a screaming fit. He screamed and cried as we left the Playscape. As we waited for Noah to use the bathroom. All down the ramp and out the building. Through the parking lot and into the car. As we waited our turn to get out of the parking lot.

And finally, finally, I had an idea.

Sometimes I wish my brain would work better for me! Anyway, pulling out the movie Cars and the portable DVD player dried all tears and demands for 'door open.'

And as a final perk for the day, we drove north a bit and stopped to pick up Bajio for lunch!
Anyway, we had a successful outing but I think we decided that Christmas Eve might be our only 'free day' attempt in the future! Oh, wait...we are moving to who knows where!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Looks like fun!

Greg and Tammy said...

Don't ever apologize for pics of yourself. You look darling...

What an amazing museum! wish we had one close like that!