Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Boys: Ian

So, it has been too long. So long, in fact, that I don't know where to start! But I haven't blogged about the general growth and development of either of my boys. And these are the formative years where they grow and change so quickly!

Be Warned: This is another long post from a proud parent!

IAN

Ian has been growing like a weed. He has been in 24 mo and 2T clothes since the fall. When I went to get some closed toed shoes for the fall I found out that he needed size 7 1/2. His sandals must have been really forgiving because they were only 6's!
He grew out of the high chair but disdained to use the booster seat at the kitchen table (just like Noah did). So, he sits in a big chair and can see just enough to eat his food.

Well, what food he will eat. Also like Noah, he is a picky eater. I hold out hope for him since in the last month or so, he has started to experiment and eat somethings that are new or in the past he has refused. Veggies have yet to make that list, but like I said, we are hopeful!He was not talking for a long time and and when we went in for his 18 mo well baby check the pediatrician and I talked about a First Steps evaluation. Some how, though, his switch got flipped and it all started coming out. It seems like within a few weeks he went from about 10 words to 50+ and using two word sentences. It has kept up from there.

"Oops, I drop it. Car."
"Oops, I drop it. Ian." - when he fell on his bum on the front step
"Head. Wet." - after refusing to wear a hat or hood.

His skills at imitation are great so even if he doesn't know what they all mean he can say most things you ask him too or hears someone else say.

For example, he and Noah love to run around pushing their trucks and wagon talking about the 'ghost.' I didn't really think that Ian had a clue what a ghost was, but this borne out just yesterday. Chris had pulled the love seat out and was cleaning underneath it. In a very worried voice Ian said "uh oh, ghost." I hear Chris say "What? The feather? That's a feather not a ghost."

Another example is "hands." He leads you to either the kitchen or bathroom sink saying "hands, hands" as he tries to push up his sleeves. Don't get all excited-he is not really wanting to wash his hands. He would much rather play in the sink!
And his mispronunciations are just adorable. I'm not sure why I enjoy them so much but I do.

"raybine" morphed into "tombine" - combine
"Nonny" - Noah - used to be "Oah" but later while looking at pictures he identified Noah with this new word.
"phomas the train"
"bideo" - video
"spacky" - Sparky, the name of our car
"'mis songs" - Christmas songs were a big hit and requested frequently in the day and always at bedtime.

When the developmental therapist from Noah's preschool did a home visit in the fall we talked briefly about getting Ian in the 18 mo to 3 yr class. This semester he is participating in the class but as the typical peer model, rather than a client. Go Ian!

He is usually a little shy and nervous around new people and situations. When walking down the sidewalk, if another person came from the opposite direction Ian would stop in his tracks or turn and walk away from them and never mind where I was!
The first day of "preschool" (as we are calling it for universal understanding with the boys about where we are going) went pretty well. Remnants of his reserve were evident as he played by himself (and the grad student who attached herself to him) without much talking and during singing time-all songs he does know-watched without participating much. Given a few weeks to catch onto the routine I imagine he will be a pro!

He started nursery at church about 6 months ago. Chris went in for a bit to get him settled but once he had his snack he was generally a happy camper. Now he goes in without a hitch and generally looks forward to nursery time.

He loves playing with "Nonny" but tends to keep to himself during date night babysitting, content if the others will leave him alone with his cars or trains. He loves the outdoors and was thrilled with his recent opportunities to play in the snow, even if his nose was going to freeze and fall off his face.
He is passionate about cars and trucks and trains. He loves to race around the house with Noah while they push a truck or wagon and crash into each other. Owies once were cause for huge crying and long minutes of upset but have since been easily cured with kisses, thanks to the example of his older brother. And while recent occasions have demonstrated his continued ability to have screaming fits that last a long time he is generally more even-keeled than ever before.

Ian is not one to be ignored and will demand your attention by pulling your face around to him. And he wants things the way he wants them, when he wants them!
He went through a period of running around and then running to me or Chris and plopping his head down. Sometimes this was into a knee or collar bone and then, after all that 'love' he had just given us, we would need a kiss too. He is still pretty cuddly and when reading time comes or a game on the laptop he will sit real close and lay his whole upper body across your arm and chest. It is a most precious and enjoyable position to be in!

He has just started to say prayers with help. My next sneaky camera goal is to record him saying the prayer because it is just too cute!

Tonight it went something like this:
C: Dear Heavenly Father
I: day
C: Thank thee,
I: Tank u
C: that we could go to church.
I: church
C: Thank thee,
I: Tank u
C: for the food.
I: food
C:In the name,
I: name
C: of Jesus Christ
I: Cwhist
C: Amen
I: AMEN!!!!

Within sight of his second birthday, Ian is about 31 lbs and tall. Pretty soon he won't be my baby anymore and while that will be different, it seems appropriate with all the growing and changing he has done in the last 6 months. And while I try not to compare the boys (for all our sakes!) it has been fun to see just how much of an individual he really is.

4 comments:

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

I love baby talk from babies. This was nice I fell like I've gotten a little glimpse into who Ian is. I love it and you.

Leslie said...

I enjoyed that long parent bragging post!

Leslie said...

I really meant that long proud parent post---I didn't think you were bragging.

Elise said...

What a cute little guy! He really is growing up!