Saturday, March 5, 2011

Time in Texas

Due to the amazing generosity of my mom and sister, Elise, I was able to squeeze in a quick weekend in TX with my Mimi, Mom and Dad, and Elise, Dan and her kiddos and Chandra. (This visit from me and Chandra means that Mimi will get to see all of mom's kids this year. Ian came the weekend after us for business and then they took a quick trip up to Colorado to see Bret, Christina and their kids.)

It didn't hurt that I have an superb husband who stayed with the kids. (On a quick side note I have to mention a woman at church on Sunday, who after finding out Chandra and I had left our kids with our husbands for the duration, asked in an amazed voice "Aren't you worried about leaving them with their dad?" Chandra and I exchanged glances and cheerfully, and with some bafflement, responded "Nope!" We married the best of men!)

I flew in early on Saturday and got back to Mom and Dad's to eat a big breakfast with everyone. I felt a little naked without my usual sidekicks but it was so peaceful to eat the meal and sit and visit and not be taking the time to get extra, different food, clean up someone or be breaking up fights.

I didn't take a lot of pictures. Mostly we just spent the time loving being together. Talking, hugging, loving. Ok, we did a little shopping and, of course, went to the Arboretum.

Gotta love the Arboretum, no matter the season. No trip to TX is complete without a stop here.
I think this is the only shot of all of us. Sorry for the closed eyes.
This view brought me back to another special visit to this very spot.

May 2007
Noah at about 13 months, at the Arboretum.

So fun to see this little cutie enjoying all the same things!

This was another favorite moment from the weekend. You kinda gotta know the people for the meaning to come clear, but it represents each so well! Chandra, with the casual but careful hold on the child. Speaks to her years of child-rearing experience and role as a mother.

Mimi, talking. Telling a story. In fact, it was a story about Goodgran and how much he loved visiting the Arboretum too. She felt him there that day "looking in on all his girls."
And Elise, capturing the moment with her camera. And then the not pictured: Mom, being Grandma to Luke and taking him "hiking."

I love my family and felt so blessed to see them, hug them, eat yummy food with them and hear them reminisce. These are some of the most amazing people I have ever met and I am not just saying that cause they are my girls. They impress me and teach me and I aspire to be like each of them!

I will take all the quick weekends I can get and soak up all the time I can get and be immensely grateful for all that I can get.

4 comments:

Elise said...

Oh, good! I should probably just copy and paste this post onto my own blog! So glad I got to see you!

Leslie said...

You can come back now!

Don and Robin Cooper said...

Love you all...you are "my" girls too! Such a blessed family, I miss you all! :(

Stephanie said...

What a perfect weekend :)