
A few weeks ago we were able to take a long weekend and go see my Mimi. She is the sweetest, givingest woman I think I have ever known. When I was little we went to see Mimi and Goodgran at least once a year. We would pile into the van and leave at 4 or 5 in the morning-all of the kids sacked out and not causing trouble. Car seats have changed the way we travel but not the great time that is to had at Mimi's house!
We went to Kelly Farm's Giant Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch and went through the Abe Lincoln corn maze. It was great to see old friends (I used to pick up Sarah Kelly for seminary every morning!) and test our sense of direction.
This is how we started...

and this is how we ended!

and saw some amazingly tall corn.

We also had a funnel cake-Noah's and Chris' first ever! It was quite yummy and I thought I took a picture to record it for posterity but apparently not. Oh, well, seeing Chris eat a funnel cake probably isn't all that exciting anyway! Post-treat we moved over to the bean bag toss. Noah was happy to show me how you win.
We went to Keeneland for the morning workouts. We were a little sad to skip the races and a delicious corned beef sandwich but thought it might be more fun for the kids to be up close and not have to wait half an hour between races. I don't know that Noah thought it was all that cool but Mimi and I enjoyed ourselves.


And to cap off the weekend we got Magee's cakes (aka mallow bars, aka manna from heaven!) for Mimi's birthday. She turned 81 this year! Happy Birthday Mimi! We love you! Mimi is my only surviving grandparent and we are so glad that we live close enough to visit and that our kids will have some memories of their great-grandmother. As I was talking Noah just walked up and pointed at her picture and said 'Mimi'! Like I said, I am so glad that they have a chance to know her and know her sweetness and love.




5 comments:
I am jealous! So fun. I love Kentucky!
I love Mimi! She is the sweetest lady ever! I always enjoyed seeing her at church when I lived in Kentucky. She would always come up and give me a big hug and kiss on the cheek. Also, I'm so jealous that you got to visit Kentucky! Glad you guys are doing well! :)
I love Mimi too. She always came to my dance recitals and would always ask me when they were coming. That ment so much to me esp. after I didn't have a grandma to come. I'd love to see her and talk to her. She was my seqogate grandmother. I have so many fond memories of visiting her. Even on trips home from college it was always one of my stops.
Mimi really is special. I think everyone thinks of her as "My Mimi" Just the comments here are testament to how much she touches other people. I too wish we could have been there.
ME TOO, Don and I love Mimi too! You are so blessed to have such a sweet grandma. She radiates love! Probably why your Mom is a sweetheart and her children are so special...yes, it started with ancestors like Mimi! Love you guys!
Post a Comment