Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Noah

A friend recently blogged about feeling like she was the worst mom ever. I could completely empathize because that is how I have been feeling lately as well. The last few months have been a little tough for me and consequently I find myself out of patience A LOT! And who really suffers the consequences of that? My husband and my kids. It stinks!

I have decided that part of my self-proposed therapy is focusing on the cuteness that is Noah because, truly, my cup runneth over. Despite my recent frustration with the world and everything in it, I have been enjoying so many of the things that Noah does and says, who he is, I guess.

So, for the future when he asks things about his childhood, for posterity, for grandmas and grandpas, for other family and mostly for me, here are some of the fun things about Noah.


Since he loves jumping the cushion pit at the gymnastics place is always a hit.

We recently took the front off his crib. I was very leery since I often hear him bump into the bars in the night. But circumstances are leading us towards a more independent sleeping arrangement so we thought we would try it. Well, he fell out twice the first night and then once every night following for about 3 days. The one night he didn't fall out, he fell out during his nap. That was about all I could stand so it was off to the store to get a side rail. This has been great. He can still get in and out of the bed on his own but he doesn't fall out at night either.

If ever he is feeling low, sick or tired a little cuddle with his blanket, thumb and Dora will set him to rights.
'Da-dee' came home from his world tour with a new toy for Noah. An 'a-i-gator' aka excavator. It has been his constant companion ever since and is a perfect compliment to his 'bobcat sheen'.
It has a bucket for scooping up things like little rocks, dirt or sand.
He is a pretty cool kid,
who knows who to beat the heat! Or just have fun with a spray bottle.

He went through a week asking me to help him spread out his blanket so he could lay on the ottoman like it was his bed. That blanket is his lovey. He loves to finger the edges. Things can always be improved with the presence of this blanket. NEVER leave home with out it! Not being able to have it when needed is sure to result in some weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. We were so glad that we were smart enough to get an extra to trade out for washing!

Always jumping! Note the presence of the blanket! We have gotten some looks from people if he actually has to take it into stores with us (doesn't usually happen but on occasion...) since he looks so much older than he is.

His speech has improved a lot. We have enjoyed the improvements and the efforts to say new things. Some of our favorites:
ee naecum - your welcome
ank u - thank you
bi ba - big ball
peese - please
fu dar - fruit bar

unusual use of the indefinite article-a nonny, a da-dee, a Noah, a Ian, etc.

He has started singing a lot more too. I caught this (sorry it is dark-doing that on the sly makes is hard to get the proper lighting:) just tonight.


You will notice that when he couldn't remember what the money does, he goes back to the most recent thing he was saying. He does this frequently when talking. This makes for a lot of repetition. Original words and sentences (something he didn't just hear or is one of his rote phrases) is one of our new goals for him. Also, responding to correctly to simple yes/no questions.

His smile and giggles are infectious. He brings Ian toys and tells me when he is crying. He is a crazy picky eater. He loves to chase the cat, play with his trucks, excavator and skid steer loader. He loves to run fast and jump and do Super Noah with daddy. A ride in a wheelbarrow is never a bad thing, either!


He truly brings me such joy! Just he other day he came and hugged onto me and said 'I na nu, nonny' for the first time ever. He loves me! I was so excited! My heart 'bout busted open! Seriously, you know sometimes you feel something so strongly you think that no words can express it-this is it. My love for that boy knows no bounds. He is my Noah.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Reading this just made my day. What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful boy. :) I love Noah! And he is one lucky boy to have such an amazing mom and dad (even on the bad days...) :)

Don and Robin Cooper said...

I agree with Stephanie, Noah is one very lucky little boy indeed! Guess what? You are human. Yes, you are. You are a loving Mom but sometimes you may get into Mommy overload. It happens. It's ok. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did a great thing, pondering about all the things that make Noah so special. You are a very special Mom, wish I had practiced more patience...but then getting to be a Grandma helps "right any wrongs"! Love you!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Noah really is great, Ian too. He is cute and growing and learning every day. You are the biggest reason that is true. I know you are doing all you can to do it all right all the time but give your self some slack perfection takes time. After years in self directed therapy because I didn't want to be the reason my children needed therapy, I discovered that 1. The Lord is great at using imperfect tools. 2. Increase comes from the Lord, patience, strength, wisdom, endurance all that. So start asking for increase where you need it. 3. The Lord loves you and can send you a hug anytime you ask. Well maybe you already know all these things and are in the advanced therapy class but I appreciate the review and reminder you prompted for me. I love you and would love to send you a hug anytime too.

Leah said...

Thanks, guys, I love you, your encouragement and advice. All good things for me to remember!

Leslie said...

Keep on loving them, keep on keepin on! Love ya!

Leslie said...

I love the up and down singing!

Erika said...

Leah! I am so glad I came across your blog! It's been such a long time since we were roomies at college. Your two boys look so studly! Looks like things are going well for you! My blog is www.kennardfamilyblog.blogspot.com if you have a minute.