Friday, May 22, 2009

Potty Training Rollercoaster

Warning: There will be lots of potty talk in this post!

This week has been devoted to the dreaded potty training. All my efforts, time, energies, mental capacity, everthing have been devoted to potty training. I can't seem to help it. Sunday night I lay in bed, knowing that I planned to start potty training this week and absolutely dreading it. I tossed and I turned and I turned and I tossed. The gerbil in my head was running his wheel as fast as he possibly could trying to consider all possible scenarios and how I should meet them.

I feel mostly ok about winging a lot of things in parenting. Sippy cups, self feeding, whatever. But not sleeping and definitely not potty training. This was stressing me out big time! There could be no room for error on my part. I was sure I had to approach it just right so Noah wouldn't refuse outright; I had to say the right things, make the right faces. There were so many ways this could be messed up and it was all on my head!

And it truly has been a rollercoaster. (I am sure it is by no means over, lest you think that this post marks the end of this journey for us! Really, we just had a good day so I can actually bring myself to write about it.) A pretty good first day with promising results gave me hope. Second day was horrible. Only one successful attempt putting pee in the potty. I purposely did not even count how many times I cleaned it off the floor and let's not talk about the poop at all. Made me think that I would rather go through labor than potty train a child. The vote between pregnancy and potty training is still out.

But today (I know, I know, it is only day three!) was a great day. We didn't get the poop in the potty but we got the pee in the potty every time. I am getting to be pretty well trained now. He didn't go in the pull-up that he wore for date-night babysitting and when we got home he went to in the toilet. I have hope again!

Isn't it ironic that even as I try to savor our successes, and you better believe I consider them our successes, I feel compelled to psych myself up for a bad day tomorrow? Silly gerbil. It's time to take a break.

3 comments:

Alisa said...

You are in my prayers!! Talk about one of the most exhausting tasks ever.

There will be an end, though.

Good luck! Hang in there.

(I think Greg gave lots of blessings the summer we potty-trained David. God cares about everything.)

Leslie said...

Silly Gerbil!!

Katerina said...

I remember Anna was just like that - one day was great, the next was a disaster. It does end, though, and there are mostly great days eventually. Hang on!