Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Morning

When Chris and I were first married the Christmas holiday was spent with his family or mine, alternating each year. The first Christmas with my family (our second year of marriage) was also our last as my family had grown so large that we couldn't fit in one house and we couldn't count on the neighbor being out of town and willing to lend us his house each year:) So, on the years we don't go to Chris' family we have stayed home-I was 8 months pregnant the first time. This year was the second time at home and while we contemplated heading to VA, in the end we were glad to be home with the kids and I being less than healthy, the rain and snow, and the work around the house that we had planned.
Christmas morning was low key and comfortable. Noah woke up about 7ish and was content to watch a show and eat from his stocking (he had informed me days before that his stocking would be filled with candy and I learned my lesson about failed expectations at Halloween!) until Ian woke up. That meant that Mommy and Daddy got to sleep till close to 8 when Ian decided join the land of the living. We considered this a special Christmas treat since they both usually wake up between 6:30 and 7.

Ian was equally happy to munch from his stocking, almost the exclusion of all else. He was about where Noah was last year-not really much interested in the unwrapping of presents. Once something fun came out of the paper he wanted to play with it, but there didn't seem to be any joy in the discovery. Funny kids!

Although, I did manage to get a picture without food in it:)They were excited by each gift and thanks to the generosity of grandparents, Uncle Bret and Aunt Christina, and Aunt Clara they got a variety of fun things to check out and play with. Thanks everyone!
It was fun and happy and I couldn't have asked for more. Happily, there was more! Chris got me a wireless router so now (except for pictures) I can blog (and email, search jobs, etc.) from the comfort of my couch! Hence the last really long post that a sore bum might have encouraged me to shorten or abridge.

As most of the Christmas vacation has been full of home improvement work for Chris with occasional help from his sick and pregnant wife, that morning was the perfect opportunity to focus on family and togetherness. It was a very merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Katerina said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your "own" Christmas. Ever since we moved away from Utah, we did our own Christmas and have really enjoyed it (except for 2 years ago when we were lucky enough to spend a few days during Christmas in the Czech Republic). Once kids get into it, it's more enjoyable to just have your own family around to make some unforgettable memories.
As far as wireless router and pictures go, I'll have John write up a thing and will send it to you. We have a wireless router, too, and somehow are able to see and use the files saved on both of our computers, i.e. if I'm on the laptop upstairs I can still blog and post pictures that are saved on the desktop downstairs. It's cool how it works and I don't think it's too complicated to set it up this way. I'll let you know more when I talk to him.
Happy New year to you and your family!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

Leah Happy Christmas. I just got a $3 keyboard from DI so I can actually comment now. So glad the day went well. Sure love you guys.

Leslie said...

Glad you had a good Christmas! Love seeing the pictures of the boys---now I need pictures of the home improvements.

Greg and Tammy said...

What a wonderful Christmas! Sounds like it was great to stay home and just be your own little family. Love it. Hope you start feeling better soon! Does this usually last your entire pregnancy?