Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance

Does "Pomp and Circumstance" refer to the pomposity of declaring oneself a Doctor of Philosophy? (Or is it not pompous if it is a university declaring you such?)

Or to the circumstances that led to taking pictures in a rush, in the dark, with Chris being the only presentable member of the family?
Perhaps the pomp refers to the University president reciting the list of well known persons who were once or are currently associated with Purdue, including Amelia Earhart, Neil Armstrong or Nobel Prize winner Ei-ichi Negishi.
And what marvelous circumstances that allowed Chris' mother to be with us to witness the hooding and celebrate this amazing achievement!
Chris will tell you that getting a PhD was not about being exceptionally smart or talented. It is about perseverance, sticking with it when the going gets tough, over and over again!

I happen to know that Chris is exceptionally smart, talented, hard working, dedicated and capable of great feats of perseverance. (See first picture above.)
Chris, after years of homework, research, publishing papers, conferences, broken machines, mentoring, many prayers, and near constant late nights the "golden boy" status you attained in the lab is reflected in the gold chevron on your hood.
I could have pomped and circumstanced myself right out of my buttons, I am so proud! I love you!

"Christopher Alan Williamson, hooded by Monika Ivantysynova"

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Merry Pomp and Circumstance!!

Karisa and John said...

Hip hip hooray! So NOW can we call him Dr. Williamson instead of just Chris???