Monday, June 20, 2011

Bishop Williamson

When I was 15 or 16 my family went to Gatlinburg, Tennessee on a vacation trip. I bravely decided to try the drop-swinging-thing where they hoist you up to a very high point and let you go and you swing between the other two poles to which you are also attached. It was at that point of fear, stress and amazement that I laughed. I laughed the whole way up and the whole way down and and all the swinging in between. Is is any wonder then, that when the call was extended to Chris to be bishop, my reaction was to laugh?

I think that Chris has his own story to tell but I know he walked around in a state of shock for a couple of days. I felt the confirmation of the Spirit almost as soon as the words came out of the Stake President's mouth. After reading and pondering the Spirit was still with me and I was even more sure. I think Chris' sureness about the call came days later. This meant though, that I was in a position to reassure and encourage him.

Since then it seems time can't decide whether to fly or creep along. It has been an interesting ride.

We had to get some one to watch the kids while we went to speak to the Stake President. I worried around about what to tell them-they are smart cookies and Sunday dress and an "appointment" can pretty much mean only one thing-and we finally just came straight out and said "we can't talk about it" at the same time they said "we won't ask."

My visiting teacher came over and let loose about her frustrations at still not having a bishop. (We were without a bishop for almost 2 months.) I am sure I had an odd expression on my face. I don't think I prevaricate on the fly very well and even diversion didn't really seem an option. I assume I did ok since she didn't try and pin me down about anything.

My parents, Chris' mom and Chris' grandfather all came up to support him on the Sunday he was ordained and set apart. It really meant a lot and the weekend flew by.

After he was sustained he took his seat on the stand with his counselors. With his dark suit, white shirt and red patterned tie he looked so...natural, up there as bishop. And then you zoom out and take in the whole picture and there he sits, next to two counselors who are both old enough to be his father and it looks a little incongruous. (He attended a meeting this past Saturday that included all the bishops in the state and lo and behold, he is the youngest bishop in the state of WI!)

Bishop Minnick (the previous bishop) told Chris that the first Sunday we came to church after moving that he leaned over to one of his counselors and said "That is the next Bishop of the Oak Creek Ward." The Sunday Chris was called the Elders Quorum President said hello to Chris' grandfather and asked if he was there to ordain Chris bishop. And another woman in the ward said as soon as she found out the old bishop was leaving she knew who the new bishop would be.

Perhaps the inspiration that Chris received way back in March of 2010, that we should move to someplace we can serve, was inspiration about a ward that would soon need a bishop.

We survived the first week. It went something like this:

Sunday-called, ordained a High Priest, set apart as Bishop, and several meetings after the block
Monday-FHE
Tuesday-Bishopric Meeting
Wednesday-Training by Stake Presidency for new bishopric and their wives
Thursday-mow the lawn, studied handbook
Friday-Visit Girl's Camp (didn't get home till after midnight)
Saturday-Priesthood meeting with Elder Quentin L. Cook (in Appleton, WI two hours away, gone from 9:45 am to 8 pm

Several offers to help have come my way and I appreciate the support and love, especially since I feel like I know very few people in the ward. (Being in primary will do that to you!)

Some of them are trying to figure out who we are too! I went into the library before church this week to get supplies for my class and one librarian said to the other, interrupting her own conversation, pointing out "that is the bishop's wife." It took me by surprise. It also made me laugh.

Despite the fact that this is a call for Chris, it really feels like something we are in together, that we could only make it work if we are in it together. There is no call extended to be the bishop's wife, but it sorta feels like it is a calling anyway.

Several people have instructed us to be very careful about the confidentiality that comes with this call. Even as recent as last week I thought to myself how easy that would be, how it wouldn't be a big deal. After all, I didn't even want to know all the things that are going on so I certainly wouldn't be asking! But after a week, I understand why the multiple admonishments. Chris and I are used to discussing everything in our lives, all the day to day details. Now there are whole, huge chunks of time from his week where all he can say is "I had meetings" or "I had a lot of appointments."

This first week has been busy with not a lot of time to see each other or talk. We were pushing just to get the day to day things done. We fell into bed late every night. And yet I have felt an increased measure of the Spirit in my own life and I feel as close or closer to Chris than I did previously. I consider it one of the tender mercies from the Lord that the increased stress and decreased together time has produced a stronger feelings of solidarity, unity and love within our relationship. I truly believe that while this calling will translate into challenges for our family, the blessings of heaven await us.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for this post. It's nice to hear about this change from your perspective, and to hear how the spirit has confirmed to both of you and many others of where Chris should be serving right now. Haha kind of crazy that Chris is the youngest bishop in all of WI!! But what an amazing first week... training from Elder Cook and all! Not to mention girls camp... ;) I'm excited for both of you in this new adventure and will be praying lots for you!

Elise said...

Oh I just love you guys so much! Chris will be an excellent bishop and you an excellent bishop's wife. (As a side note, Dan recently expressed that he feels happily confident that he will never be bishop because I could not handle it) But I loved reading this and it is so evident that Heavenly Father works so seamlessly behind the scenes of our lives. And I just love more than anything when we get a tiny little glimpse into His working. Move here, buy this house, meet this person, etc. I will keep praying that you all continue to feel that solidarity even when you are stretched so thin. Again, I just love you both so much!

Jim said...

Leah,
When I served with the stake presidency as executive secretary, I watched first-hand the process of selecting a bishop. Beyond any doubt, Chris would not have been called had you not been willing to shoulder the burden that you will bear for the next several years. I am so grateful that you have a cheerful attitude and will keep the covenants that you've made in the temple. I am very thankful that you married into our family and are such an integral part of Chris' life. I love you!

Aria Eden said...

It's crazy, yet not surprising, that you are now a bishop'd wife! What a wonderful post and what a great testament to the Lord's hand in our lives.

The Tate Fam said...

That is amazing and crazy all at the same time! I'm sure Chris will be great at being bishop and you will be a great bishop's wife! Dylan was asking me if he could play with Noah the other day. He misses him, and we miss you! Hopefully we can get together sometime soon!

Don and Robin Cooper said...

Since I don't know Chris...all I can say is that I KNOW you'll be a wonderful support to your Bishop husband! Your father was a great Bishop, I'm sure your Mom's support was invaluable to him as well.

Love you guys!!!