Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Learning Experience...I mean Family Trip

Warning: This post is fairly long and might fall under the "For My Own Records" category.

After a change of summer plans Chris had some unexpected days of vacation available. We seized our opportunity to make the long Memorial Day weekend a day longer and take a little trip to Nauvoo.

I have never been before and Chris hadn't been in 15 years. It was time. We made some plans for our stay and looking forward to a weekend full of firsts we set out just after lunch on Friday afternoon.

The next 24 to 36 hours were not what I would call fun, exactly. There were definitely good moments. And it ended well. But I learned a bit on this trip that was neither to a hub of commerce or a family member's home.

It went a little something like this:

Drive to Nauvoo (this part actually went fine)
Arrive to off and on sprinkling and drizzle.
Unpack the van.
Hold the baby, try and keep the bugs off.
Make dinner in the rain.
Eat in the rain.
Decide to use two cabins instead of one so that Sage will hopefully get some sleep.
Crawl into the bunk with sleeping bag, sweating and hot while Sage screams and cries because she was awakened when I came in. Wake periodically through the night as Sage does. (There is a reason I don't keep my babies in my room with me!)
Wake up and pack the van.
Head to historic Nauvoo, stopping at the temple first.


After trying for some pictures the boys got to touch the temple. I don't think they felt the Spirit, but I did. I hope they come to recognize and understand the significance of the these holy places. Arrive in at the Visitor's Center to try and get the lay of the land.
Unpack the van to get the stroller out and set off.
Return the rain.
Sage cries and wants Chris to hold her. Chris and kids continue walk to Pioneer Pastimes.
I return to van, unpack it to put stroller back in and repack. Meanwhile, still raining.
I drive van down closer to Pioneer Pastimes and arrive in time to walk our stubborn, uncooperative second child to the bathroom. (Of course I didn't see the closer one till we got back!)
Walk back to Pastimes and then back to the van to get out snacks and water.
I drive back to the Visitor's Center to get tickets for the wagon ride and then back to a spot for lunch.
Unpack the van to get out the food. Eat. Repack the van.
Drive everyone to the Visitor's Center for the wagon tour.
(This was probably the highlight of my day-peaceful and informative and when it started to rain again we were covered!)
Got the real lay of the land from the tour.
My favorite part of the tour was Parley Street. I could just imagine how the Saints felt waiting and walking away from Nauvoo.
Heading towards the Mississippi.
Looking back at their beloved temple on the bluff.
After the wagon tour we headed over to the Hotel Nauvoo where we opted to stay so we could get cleaned up for church on Sunday. After checking in and you guessed it, unpacking the van we headed back over to the Family Living Center and Scovil Bakery.
Though the boys sat still for the candle making demonstration, the rope making was the real hit, and perhaps the only one:)We picked up a pizza for dinner and unpacked some more before calling it a night.

Sunday morning came with dreary skies and more rain. And, we had to repack the van.

Church was easy to find and we enjoyed a quick visit with the Harwards, friends from West Lafayette. Funny and fun to see familiar faces in an unexpected place!

But by the time we left church I had floated the idea to Chris of packing it in (especially since we were already packed!) and heading home. I was tired of the rain and constant packing and unpacking. I didn't want to do it anymore!

We hemmed and hawwed and hashed it out back and forth and finally decided to get a weather check (call to TX and someone who has a computer). If it was going to rain we were leaving and if it wasn't we would stay. As we called the sun came out. We decided to stay.

We put Sage down for an afternoon nap in a cabin and Chris went kite flying with the boys.
Once Sage woke up we headed back to Nauvoo so that I could walk down Parley Street and read the boards. Noah and I visited the wainwright and blacksmith shop before collecting Sage for the walk. Ian slept in the van and Chris got to visit with some family in a rare spot of cell phone reception.

A quick stop to see the house that Chris' grandparents had owned and he had lived in for a summer and then we went back to the campsite to do dinner and set up camp.
Sage doesn't like the feel of grass so the blanket was a fairly effective containment option-which was totally needed since it was wet and muddy even when the sun was out.
She did a fair job occupying herself.
Nothing said fun to the boys like the rock pile.
But sometimes they came back to camp for a break.
Chris was our chef (among other essential roles) for the weekend. Everything was pretty delicious.
Sunday evening and Monday morning were characterized by pleasant weather (finally!), good food, a little relaxation, cleaning and packing and Ian's continuous whining, crying, and refusal to walk in the grass because of the bugs. (Seems it was the day for the cicadas to molt and there were hundreds all over. Skins, dead, wet winged, alive and flying, the whole shebang. Ian was not amused, interested, or even tolerant.)

Monday morning was much the same as the evening before: packing and more Ian whining.
But we finally were ready to hit the road. We were off to Carthage before heading home.

I love church history and over the years of learning and studying my admiration for Joseph Smith has grown. I know that he was a prophet called of God to restore his Church to the earth.I had many new thoughts and impressions after seeing the place in person.
We headed home and made good time. We were happy to arrive safe and sound and in good time to do a quick dinner and put kids to bed. The second half of the trip redeemed the first and I learned a few valuable lessons:

1. Pick a place to stay and stay.
2. Unpack once.
3. Repack once.

6 comments:

Elise said...

I am glad to learn from your experiences. We'd like to start camping but we're both a little afraid. I would love to visit Navuoo some day, too. And those pictures were such a stark reminder of the ugliness of where I live. Sometimes I kind of forget, then I see pictures of lots or trees and green grass...

Katerina said...

Sounds like fun! I understand your unhappiness because of all the packing, unpacking, repacking, packing, unpacking, etc. while on vacation. Doesn't sound much like vacation. I like your three lessons at the end and agree 100%. Over the few years of traveling with little kids, though, I also learned that all the work is worth it because you're together as a family and can grow stronger through those experiences. And those memories are worth it, too . . .

Leslie said...

Nice pictures---If you only saw them you would never guess there was so much rain. Glad you got to make the trip and squeezed out at least a little enjoyment! The camping spot looks so beautiful! And did you think the temple had a look of perfection? There is just something about it----they did a marvelous job building it, I think.

Dave said...

What a trip! Thanks for sharing your tips with us, we'll do our best to apply them over the years. We love hearing your family's stories and we are excited to see you in August!

Michelle said...

Wow, sounds crazy. :) I agree with all three points. I remember learning a similar lesson at Nauvoo with just the two of us and of course the kids would compound things! I laughed all the way through this post (mostly because we were almost there with you, and really, we're sad that we weren't!). Oh, except the part about the cicadas. Yuck! No laughing there. :)

Michelle said...

But how did the tenting go? We just got a tent and we're excited to go camping one of these days...