Noah being big for his age has brought a few things to my attention that I wanted to record here:
1. High Expectations. Even though I know exactly how old he is I frequently have to remind myself that he can't do 'that' (whatever it is) yet, he is only two! Some how I have subconscious expectations based on size even if I don't want them!
2. Other People's Expectations. Others who don't know him, from the grocery store to church to the doctor's office (yes I know they have his records but they always double check after looking at him!), think he is older than he is and also have size equivalent expectations.
3. His Expectations. This has become more evident just recently as he leaves parallel play behind. Noah's inclination is to play with the kids who are about his size. This tends to be mostly 4 year olds. They, however, recognize his age limitations better than anyone, and don't really want to play with him. He, in the meantime is passing by more appropriate playmates that would have similar abilities and interests but displace less space.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Big Prints?
Posted by Leah at 8:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
ahhh they grow so fast! You have such a sweet family...Noah will do just fine and find his "place"! Love and miss you guys!
I hear you--all of you grew up with your parents expecting advanced age behavior. Actually---it didn't turn out too bad.....
I understand!! David has looked 4 since he was 2 1/2, which has brought with it the exact issues you described.
I love that picture :) I've worked with a few kids in that same situation and it really is hard to match expectations to their age rather than their size! Good luck working through this stage... :)
That's funny... because I'm often getting the comment "oh, she's so little" about Sariah, when she is, in fact, getting to be pretty big for her age. The reason being, people are assuming she's older based on her physical strength and thus drawing the conclusion she must be under-sized. So, a complete flip-flop of what you're experiencing. Lesson being.... never assume? That long-winded thought aside, I understand... it's amazing how much size affects our expectations of kids.
Cute picture! Glad you liked the Wedding photos. I can't believe little Merrill is married!
That's funny, my boys have huge feet too! hopefully they will grow into them someday cuz now they are just tall, and SKINNY, with big feet! And no worries for Noah...it's better to be a big boy, than a small one! :)
Post a Comment