The day seemed to start ok, even if it was a little early. Like 5:00am. The ambulatory surgery entrance was right where they told us and we were early enough to get a parking spot. One of the other ENTs was sick that day and his three surgery appointments had to be canceled as they arrived. We were glad that ours wasn't. A kind nurse took Noah and Chris to be weighed and measured (Noah not Chris:). I came back with Ian just before Chris successfully got Noah into the hospital gown. They gave him and extra to put on backwards as a robe, as if modesty was an issue.
I wouldn't have thought so for Noah, but apparently he wanted everything to be covered!

Still blissfully unaware of the trials to come Noah 'drove' his car to the operating room where Chris had to leave him at the door. They used a gas mask to put him to sleep before inserting the iv catheter and administering the anesthetic. The surgery was quick; it seemed that no sooner had we be been told it started than the doctor was there telling us how it went. Things had gone well with the removal of the tonsils and the adenoid pads but he would like to keep Noah over night.
He spent some time in recovery coming out of the anesthetic. We met him in his room in the pediatric unit. He was groggy and out of it but clearly uncomfortable. You could tell that he really didn't want to move his mouth, jaw or throat at all holding it all as still as possible. His saliva was very viscous and would pool in his mouth before drooling out the corners since he wouldn't swallow it. He sat with Chris and zoned out to Dora until the nurse had to take care of business.
She had to give his pain meds orally and also ended up using the syringe to get some water down him too. This was a fight every time with wails of pain and lots of tears. This was the only picture I could bring myself to take of his misery and she was just taking his blood pressure!Surprisingly to me, I was close to tears most of the day and, unsurprisingly, am eternally grateful that Chris was able to be the strong one in this situation. It about tears my heart out to see my baby so pitiful and crying with the pain and it seemed like that happened a lot. The reality though, is that there were some ok, maybe even good, moments in the day thanks to the drugs.
Feeding Daddy his pudding and making his first efforts at speech.

Eventually, making it to the playroom for some one handed play.
Check out the trappings on that right hand!
Check out the trappings on that right hand!

And even getting to take some toys back to his room.

I came home that evening feeling pretty disheartened, mostly from his moments of misery. Later, Chris called and I could hardly hear him for all the babbling and talking that Noah was doing, 'high as a kite', according to Chris after getting another dose of Lortab. He sounded pretty chipper and excited and I was heartened. Hearing him like that was surely an answer to prayers. Thank you guys for that!

11 comments:
You are wonder woman. I can't stand to here any kind of crying, but the pain crying really tears me up inside. Sounds like Noah's a little trooper. Just think how much better he's going to feel when he's all recovered.
I'm glad the worst is over. It is so nice to have support at times like these. Way to go Chris! Thanks to all the friends who were there even though we are far away. Leah you are such a good Mom. Noah you're gonna make it. Just get all the ice cream you can while you can. Ian, maybe you want to skip this particular childhood experience, I don't think any one would mind. Love you all.
I am out of town at my parents, but I wish I was there to help in someway!! I was just about in tears reading this thinking of one of my kids in that situation! But I am pregnant and EXTREMELY emotional!! What a tough (and cute) little guy!!!
We love to hear the "things are better" news. It's wonderful when you have good friends who help out and commiserate with you. We will be glad to see you all next weekend. Hang in there---time is on your side!
Oh Leah! It gets better! I know exactly how you feel! Ben was just miserable and it broke my heart to not be able to make him feel better. Lots of hugs and patience will be needed for a few weeks (for Noah and you). Just stay on top of giving him his medicine not matter how hard . . . We're thinking of you guys.
I hope that he is just feeling better and better, Leah. And that you are too. Love you!
Leah,
So glad he's doing okay... your writing made me want to cry about the whole experience too! He's a lucky little guy to have a mommy like you.
I'm glad that your little guy is feeling better! Hope you guys are doing well!
Scary surgery! Glad that it went well! Way to be a brave Mom... I probably would have melted on the hospital floor. :)
Poor little guy! That is soo sad that he has to go through that! That must break your heart! I wish we lived closer so that we could help you out somehow! I hope all is well!
Oh, and did you hear about Slater?
glad everything went well, you'll have to let us know how he progresses...
Post a Comment