Disclaimer: This is a long post with a lot of pictures! Feel free to skim, skip or leave off at any time.
Last week, while I was home sick with sick kids Chris had an adventure filled week in Krakow, Poland. He saw and learned lots of cool things. Since what he saw and did is way more interesting than a sick mommy and kids, this post is dedicated to his travels.
He saw lots of cool, old churches including this fortress turned church built in the 11-century. You can seen the arrow slit on the side, original to the fortress. It is currently (and has been for centuries) in the possession of an order of nuns who still sing plain chant daily. Chris said it was like stepping back in time to enter the church and hear them singing.
The church was remodeled a few hundred years ago in the Baroque style, much more ornate than the original Romanesque.
This church was huge. It had incredible ceilings and renaissance artwork lined the hallways.

Chris found this representation of the Holy Trinity as three separate beings of interest.
This one is a Basilica.
A group of them rented bikes and sought our Oscar Schindler's Factory (the guy from Schindler's List).
It is currently under renovation to make it into a museum, hence, not much to see.
There was a pretty extensive air museum. Although, mostly fighting planes the museum also included a retired polish presidential plane.
This Cessna was one of two American planes there that were appropriated after the Vietnam war sent to Poland for extensive study.
They were warmly welcomed and got to see a re-enactment in the courtyard of a mansion built in the manner of a castle.
They dined well on fancy food in a real castle too.

There is a tower in the city center with 239 steps to the top called St. Mary's Tower. For the last 600 years a bugler has played from the top every hour. Buglers were required to make it to the top in 2 1/2 minutes. At one point in it's history the bugler was killed with an arrow while playing. The song has been cut short at that point ever since. This is one of the views from the tower, overlooking Krakow.
The tower also looks out on what is claimed to be the largest city square in Europe.
I think that this is the real castle that they visited.
There were lots of street musicians. Chris particularly enjoyed this group of accordion players who sounded like an organ.
The 4th of July came and me and the boys were still sick and Chris was in Poland. So, we went and spent a pleasant afternoon/evening with friends roasting hot dogs and eating watermelon. Thanks, Andy and Michelle for hosting us and helping us get out of the house! The best way to celebrate a holiday is with friends and family!
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Poland and July 4th
Posted by Leah at 8:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hope you are feeling better now!
Uh-mazing! I want to go! Why does Chris never invite me on these things?! I may not know the first thing about engineering but I do enjoy seeing new places and eating new food! Why can't that be enough?!:)
Is Dan going to take care of all our children? Because if you go I get to go!
I wish I could have gone too. I recently read a book that told the story about the bugler and the tower. i would love to see it with my own eyes and hear it.
Count me in...I WANT TO GO TOO! Beautiful pictures! Next time there is an Abbott family vacation, I think I'll invite myself...I can be an "adopted" relative! Where shall we all go? hehehehehe! :)
Well, i hereby officially volunteer Dan to watch all the children. He doesn't know it yet, and I cannot guarantee their condition when we return but I say, let's do it!
Wow! I can't believe I just heard a concert in Kracow---is that how you spell it? I must say, I've never heard an accordian sound like an organ! Good times---Good times!
Thanks for posting these! I've always heard that Poland was beautiful but it's great to see the proof :) I loved those accordians too! And yeah, if y'all are gonna plan a trip back, count me in! :)
Sorry you and the boys were sick during Chris's adventures... hope you're all feeling better!
Post a Comment