Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Home Improvement

We started back at Christmas time and have only made minimal progress since. At least it feels that way. Time is passing me by and I still have a pretty long list of things to do.

But so far, we have managed a few big projects. Well, Chris has managed a few big projects.

We started with the laundry room. We planned on extending the laminate wood flooring from the kitchen and painting the walls and the shelving we put in when we moved into the house. It all came to fruition, it just took longer than we thought.

Before:
In the middle:
After:
After:
Then after Christmas a nice man in the ward volunteered to help us tile the foyer. Well, his wife volunteered him:) It was great. We had planned on just redoing the vinyl squares. This allowed us to a little upgrade and learn something new too!

Before:

In the middle:(I wish I had gotten a picture of Ian's little socks stuck the subfloor. It was pretty sticky in some places and he had gotten stuck and couldn't walk with his socks stuck to the floor. I came to help but only managed to rescue Ian. The socks stayed put!)Nice Man aka Jeff KenningtonHad to lay backer board because you can't tile to the subfloor.After a little layout planning the mudding and tile laying commenced.Almost done, just grout, floor boards and carpet tacking to go...After:
Our most recent project, completed just this last Saturday, was putting in new counter tops. We love how the white cabinets brighten the kitchen space. But I was never a fan of the cream counter tops, not to mention that they were in pretty rough shape.

Before:
Middle:

A few surprises we found:

And until I either do a back splash or touch up the paint (the counter back splash is a little shorter than what was there),
After:
Still to go:
painting two rooms
re-carpeting the master bedroom
a closet door for Ian's room
sanding down a closet door in Noah's room
touch up painting throughout the house and the exterior
de-cluttering
an insane amount of cleaning

And that doesn't even include most of the outdoor things...

8 comments:

Alisa said...

Wow!! Your improvements look great!! I am seriously so impressed.

Elise said...

Good work! Everything looks great!

Aria Eden said...

So, you selling the house must mean you're moving. Where to?

Stephanie said...

Wow! I'm totally impressed! I love the work you guys have done :) Very nice!

Katerina said...

It all looks really good, really. We have so many home improvement plans before we sell this house (next year, probably), and some of them are pretty urgent, like the kitchen floor. We might ask you a few questions now that you've done it yourselves. My only fear is how long it will all take and make life inconvenient during that time.
Good job to you both, though!

Leslie said...

Just shows what can be done when you put your mind to it and aren't afraid to jump in----GREAT JOB! It looks good.

Don and Robin Cooper said...

I like what you've done! Great job! Now keep down here and help me with my home improvement stuff!

Michelle said...

Wow, it all looks great! I love the kitchen counters!