Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bum Bags, Part II

The low down on Bum Bags: When we lived in Miami we were approached all the time by bums begging for money.

This poses a dilemma for all us LDS folk: Do you give them money cause your supposed to (or actually do) love your neighbor even though you know they will just by alcohol or drugs or prostitutes with it?

(On a side note that reminds me of the bum in NY who actually had a sign to that effect....guess that's another story:)

So, my mother's brilliant solution was bum bags. It is pretty much just a bag of food and some drinks. When some one came a beggin' mom would pluck a bum bag from the trunk and not worry about alcohol consumption, drug abuse, or any thing else. But her conscious was clear too; she didn't have to turn anyone away.

This time around, I picked food that didn't require a can opener and would be ok to eat even if they couldn't find their way to microwave (in a shelter, I assume?). So, Chef Boyardee ravioli provided some protein and vegetables with a peal back lid. Peanut butter crackers were some starch and protein too. Also fruit cups, raisins, water bottles, and a small package of cookies. We went to the travel section of Walmart and got travel size packages of wet wipes and packages of two one-time use tooth brushes. We debated the deodorant but opted not to stereotype:)

Chris and I put one in each car and have two back ups at home.

Did that cover everything? Happy Bum Bagging!

6 comments:

Clara said...

What a great idea!! I think I might have to copy it!!

Sarah Harward said...

I love the idea!! But I have to admit I was a bit disappointed to realize my assumtion of which definition of 'bum' you were using was wrong!

Greg and Tammy said...

Yes, thank you. :)

Leslie said...

Actually it seems like if you really loved me as much as the bums that you'd put Sage in a bag and bring her down here for my relif and comfort.

chrisw said...

I just gave away my first bum bag today. Great! Much better than ignoring the beggar or giving money.

Aria Eden said...

What a great idea! I have had many a discussion with John on my dilemma on this very topic. The one time recently I gave money to a guy it turned out he was a total scam artist (it's a long story). So now I'm back to smiling sympathetically and feeling uncomfortable. I like the bum bag. This could calm my troubled conscience.