Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Z-O-O spells Milwaukee County Zoo

On the first Saturday of the month we went to the Milwaukee County Zoo with some friends because it was a free day.
This is the only picture I got of the sweet family we went with and it doesn't have their daddy in the picture. But perhaps he would prefer that I don't have a record of him folding his extremely tall self into these short person inspired train cars.
At first I was a little put off because it was super crowded in the indoor exhibits.

And then I was put off because I saw this fellow. I don't like snakes. I won't make an exception for a horned snake. (I pretend that they don't bother me to much so as to not overly influence my boys. Or maybe I just want them to still think I am cool and not a sissy girl.)

Once out of the indoor exhibits we could breath again as everyone spread out to the rest of the zoo.

I did enjoy the peacocks and the realization that as a species they have things right: the boy goes through all the effort to look and sound just right in an effort to win over the girls.
After seeing the hippos (a serious safety concern as far as Noah was concerned-they might eat us!) and rhino, Chris helped the boys get a molded elephant out of one of those machines that molds it right in front of you.
My favorite exhibits, almost always, are the large cat exhibits.
This regal guy was pretty amazing until I got in a staring contest with this captivating male:
I don't think he knew I was playing but either way, I am pretty sure he won. A few times.

We only stayed for a few hours so we could get home for lunch and naps but we did finish things off on a high note, at least as far as the boys were concerned, on the train.

It stank. Literally. A real coal burning steam engine. But the views weren't all bad and will be brilliant in the summer and fall. The best view by far, however, was the boys smiles.

1 comments:

Elise said...

That looks like a cool zoo. You got some good pictures. We seem to be 50/50 as far as our zoo trips go-some are awesome and some are terrible. Glad this was a great one for you guys, and free at that!