Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Before I had children and when I was pregnant with Noah I decided that I was going to be a certain type of mother. One who wouldn't sweat the small stuff. I wouldn't get mad about the crumbs all over the floor, the messy face and clothes, the nasty things eaten, etc. I would pick my battles and in the meantime focus on the good moments. I have had varying amounts of success with this goal. It comes and goes. Lately, it seems like it has been gone a lot. But today I enjoyed an especially good moment.
This evening Noah helped Chris make biscuits for dinner. Noah has a happy spirit. And he loves to do things with his daddy. His joy shines from his eyes so clearly that it is like his happy spirit speaks to yours and makes you happy too. I love this about him!

"two, free, eight"


Stirring is one of his favorite jobs.


Rolling must a close second. Or maybe putting the biscuits on the pan.
One of my favorite things is the joy of a child in simple things.

Elder Russell M. Nelson said in this last general conference "Our Heavenly Father wants husbands and wives to be faithful to each other and to esteem and treat their children as an heritage from the Lord." I remember this phrase very distinctly from when I heard it in conference. It spoke to me then and it did again as I re-read it yesterday. Tonight, it came to my mind again. It is truly how I feel about my children; they are an heritage to me from the Lord. How did I get so lucky?

3 comments:

Elise said...

"Two, free, eight" I love it! So cute!
I try really hard like you to let Ava get her hands dirty, experience things, and not worry about things unless somebody's gonna die or get electrocuted, and like you, some days I am more successful than others. But I find, that if I can get in that mind frame, that's usually when the magic happens.

Angela, Grady and Boys said...

This is such a cute and sweet post...thank you for sharing! I too have a problem sweating the small stuff at times, so thank you for the reminder! Noah seems like such a cute little guy! I am so glad you have a blog so that I can stay more up to date on you and your little family!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

I love to see Noah and know how he's growing. I love to hear you as a mother. When I do I am reminded that this is how it was supposed to be and that the Lord has made the plan for our happiness. I often think of Motherhood like the ocean. It comes in waves. If you are prepared it can be a lot of fun. Sometimes though you think you're ready but a big one comes along and tumbles you but you get up take a breather and go back for more. I love being a mother and I love the ocean.