Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day



"What are we going to do for Memorial Day?" Chris asked me.
"Well, you are usually working so I have no idea!" I respond.

This year, though, was different. We decided that we would visit a local cemetery. Not being from around here we didn't have any family grave sites to visit but thought it would be a peaceful, holiday appropriate place to go. The weather was nice, warm with a cool breeze. We spread out wandering among the headstones, reading names and marveling at dates.

It wasn't until Noah found and appropriated a flag that my feelings came up to grab me by the throat. Coincidentally, (if you believe in those) I have been reading the book, In An Instant, the story of ABC news anchor Bob Woodruff being injured by an IED in Iraq and his recovery. His co-author and wife, Lee, writes about being in the military hospital and wondering about the other people there; the doctors, nurses, family and military men and women who are dealing with the repercussions and fall out of war. It always seems more real when you can put a name, face and story to the injured and dead. In all honesty, I usually prefer to avoid those stories. I think that I am especially soft-hearted as they cause a physical ache to take root in the center of my chest. It hurts my heart.

And makes me that much more grateful to those who have gone before. To those who have protected my rights and liberties. To those who have made my comfortable existence possible. To those who continue to do so. While meandering around I enjoyed the shade cast by beautiful mature trees and couldn't resist trying to capture the feelings of 'guardian' and 'protector' that I felt.


How grateful I am that just as these trees stand over and protect this resting place we have a Heavenly Father who watches over us. How grateful I am that He has provided for both the living and the dead a Savior and the plan of happiness that will overcome misfortune, trial and death. How grateful I am.

6 comments:

Elise said...

Look at all that has happened since I've been gone. I really appreciate this post. Very beautiful.

I am also happy that Noah might be getting some relief. I am sorry there has to be surgery involved but hopefully it will all be for the best.

Love you!

havingcakeandeatingit2 said...

The picture of the tree is beautiful. We had a great Memorial Day too. Glad you guys could get out and enjoy the day.

Greg and Tammy said...

LEAH!!!! WOW!!! Long time no see!! This is Tammy (Krebs) Adams. I just LOVE this blogging world!! Tara Cooper found my blog and I found yours through your mom's! Love it. Your boys are darling!! Where are you living now and what are you up to? My husband Greg and I live in Arizona. He is an attorney and I still do social work. We just had our first baby (Emma)in January of this year. Crystal and Caryn both have blogs, but they are private... so I'll send them the link to yours, so they can get in touch and email you an invitation! LOVE catching up! I'll stop in and blog stalk you to stay in touch. :) You can check out our blog at www.gregandtammyadams.blogspot.com

Leslie said...

This was such a tender expression of feelings--Thanks for being so awesome!

Caryn said...

Leah! Hello! This is Caryn - Crystal's sister! Tammy e-mailed me your blog address! You have two boys?! They are so handsome! I need your e-mail address so I can invited you to my blog. You can e-mail it to me at caryn.modbe@gmail.com!

Angela, Grady and Boys said...

Good job Leah on the blogging! I obviously can't keep up with you! There were so many new and fun posts I hadn't seen yet. I've been a slacker lately! Well, it sounds like you had a good Memorial weekend...it's true that we are so blessed to have brave people willing to serve our country! You'll have to let me know how you like that book, I've been meaning to get it to read. Well, I hope all is well! Those were such cute pic's of your little boys all dressed up too!