I love my sister Elise's Sunday Sermons so I thought I would make an attempt at a View From the Pew. Today the theme seemed to be adversity. One of the interesting comments was, paraphrasing, that if suffering were all that was required for wisdom than all the world would be wise. Suffering alone is not sufficient; it does not fulfill our purpose here on earth. What really matters is how we meet our adversity or suffering.
As I was thinking back over the adversity that I have experienced in my life I remembered specific instances when I felt the uplifting or guiding touch of the Savior. I have always believed that music is a language of the soul and frequently others words better express how I feel. Here are some of the words to a couple of my favorite hymns, one of which we sang today. My favorite lines are italicized:
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind, Love without end.
Where Can I Turn Peace, LDS Hymnbook, p129
Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear they cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, they heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
Be Still, My Soul, LDS Hymnbook, p124
2 comments:
I love it. My friend Charity has a blog and she has added music to go with her posts and I love it. There is a song for just about everything. My favorites really are the hymns though and I find the Lord speaking to me through them so I find I really listen for him when I sing. Love you.
The hymns teach us---I think this is why I like to play the hymns on the piano at home---because I say the words in my mind as I play--it is a good thing when the Spirit confirms what we are singing or reading!
Post a Comment